Corned Beef Q

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BB-que

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 8, 2016
I’m not real familiar with Corned Beef. I saw a small chunk of brisket already brined as corned beef at Trader Joe’s. I’m gonna SV it for St Paddy’s. How long/ how many water changes to desalinate?

Would help to know what your plans are for it. Are you making pastrami? Or just wanna go with corned beef?

Salt is salt either for corned beef or pastrami. I soak overnight. Change the water a few times.

Reactions: sandyut
Would help to know what your plans are for it. Are you making pastrami? Or just wanna go with corned beef?
Nope just keeping it corned beef for st paddy’s

Since your SV'ing the CB then I agree with farmer and Jake. However I like to cook the premade CB in a pot of simmering with the potatoes, carrots, and cabbage. This way soaking is not necessary, and the flavors of the beef and veggies get to intermingle.

Chris

Reactions: sandyut and TNJAKE
Since your SV'ing the CB then I agree with farmer and Jake. However I like to cook the premade CB in a pot of simmering with the potatoes, carrots, and cabbage. This way soaking is not necessary, and the flavors of the beef and veggies get to intermingle.

Chris
That’s interesting and definitely on point for St Paddy’s. In general How long are you gonna be simmering everything to get tender? What IT is good for CB?

About 45 min. /lb. Check with a skewer or fork for tenderness. Add the veggies around the last hour or so of the cook.

Chris

About 45 min. /lb. Check with a skewer or fork for tenderness. Add the veggies around the last hour or so of the cook.

Chris
Awesome, thanks

My last corned beef I made in the Instant Pot. Cooked for 90 minutes in a mix of Guinness and beef broth. No soaking and it was perfect. I definitely recommend giving it a go if you have an Instant Pot and are not planning on smoking. Super convenient and delicious to boot.

G

gmc2003 gmc2003 and pc farmer pc farmer nailed it. for a SV I would definitely try to get some salt out. the packages ones are quite salty if they are not boiled or soaked. I have read many methods on the soak. for me its overnight or 24 hours with a few water changes. I am sensitive to too salty and also have the high BP. I would rather have it be less salty than more.

Once I baked a store bought without soaking - it was nearly inedible...it was a pink salt brick.

• Haha
Reactions: JLeonard
W
gmc2003 gmc2003 and pc farmer pc farmer nailed it. for a SV I would definitely try to get some salt out. the packages ones are quite salty if they are not boiled or soaked. I have read many methods on the soak. for me its overnight or 24 hours with a few water changes. I am sensitive to too salty and also have the high BP. I would rather have it be less salty than more.

Once I baked a store bought without soaking - it was nearly inedible...it was a pink salt brick.
Am I looking for more 140 or more like 200? Gonna make rubens with it but swap out cabbage for the Kraut in the name of St Paddy Day

I found a couple recipes and they vary ALOT. one was 180 for 10 hours and other was 140 for 48 hours.

Not sure I can give advice on this - I have never done it. I would speculate the 48 hours at 140 would be a nice texture.

I smoked a corned beef tonight for St. Paddy's day.
It was a Costco Bottom Round corned beef.
I soaked it this morning for about 4 hours., but I thought it finished still a bit too salty.
Next time, I'm going to soak overnight.

Basic instructions:
Soak in plain water (overnight). Change it at least two or 3 times.
Pat it dry.
Rub the meat with a thin coat of yellow mustard as a binder.
Crush all the spice mix with a hammer or meat tenderizer.
Spread the spice mix on the outside.
Also sprinkle with coarse black pepper as well
Smoke for 3 hrs @220
Wrap and smoke for 3 hrs at 250 or until internal temp gets to 203.
Pull it at temp and let it rest for 20 or 30 mins before slicing.

TNJAKE, I had a recipe that I really liked on making pastrami out of beef brisket. I have some plain jane beef brisket I got from Kroger's and am hunting for both ways to make pastrami out of it. Both wet brine and just using a rub. Since I see you are a fellow Tennesseean I wanted to ask you :-) I'm in Georgia now but not because I want to be :emoji_sunglasses:

TNJAKE, I had a recipe that I really liked on making pastrami out of beef brisket. I have some plain jane beef brisket I got from Kroger's and am hunting for both ways to make pastrami out of it. Both wet brine and just using a rub. Since I see you are a fellow Tennesseean I wanted to ask you :-) I'm in Georgia now but not because I want to be

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky