Coppa Glitch

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sawhorseray

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Oct 17, 2014
Gilbert, AZ
I've had a coppa in a UMAi bag for 6 weeks now, it's lost only 15% of original weight, about half what it should be. The bag is loose and I've tried re-sealing it a couple of times to no avail. I'm thinking of cutting bait on the thing and hot smoking it on the Weber to a IT of 150º. Being fully cured it should still be OK for sanny's and pizza. Never had this happen before, beats tossing it I reckon. RAY

I've done it with a chub of Umai ginger salami that was taking to long to dry . I hung it in the smoker at 250 and made sure it was 152 in a couple hours .
Worked just fine .

Thanks Rich! I dumped the coppa in a regular vac-seal bag and incorporated a couple of gauze strips. I'll give it a couple of days, see what happens, then smoke it, maybe dump it, who knows! Pretty darned here, five minutes ago. RAY

DSCN3970.JPG

Reactions: gmc2003
Dang that's hot Ray. Good luck with the Coppa

Chris

You could cut the umai bag off, vac seal and allow the coppa to equalize if you suspect the outer edge has case hardened. This will allow the outer edge to rehydrate. Then you can reseal in umai and back in the fridge to dry more...

Reactions: sawhorseray
You could cut the umai bag off, vac seal and allow the coppa to equalize if you suspect the outer edge has case hardened. This will allow the outer edge to rehydrate. Then you can reseal in umai and back in the fridge to dry more...
About five inch diameter. I don't have any UMAi bags left here and no more sealing tissue. It's now back in the fridge sealed in my goofy brain fart bag. I'll give it a couple of days, then smoke it hot and fast, should still be good for something. Been using these things since they came out about six years back, first bad experience, that can happen. 99¢ a pound butt, ain't the end of the world, just hate to waste, I'll thin slice it for my dog treats if I have to, Bob get a slice of ham every morning with his meds. RAY

View attachment 637358
Sun is going down . Starting to cool off .
It will be 90º at five tomorrow morning. I'm calling first thing to have a new AC unit installed, this unit is 23 years old. Jan finally realized that if the old unit goes out and we have to wait a week to get a new one installed, we just might end up dead. Women, can't live without 'em, can't kill 'em either, bad karma. RAY

Ray I tell ya, Merideth and I don't miss those summer temps up there at all.

We topped out at 109° down here yesterday.
The two evap coolers kept the patio at a nice 82° even with the increased dew point and humidity.

Yeah, time to replace that 23 year old A/C unit.
A new high SEER unit will even knock a few bucks off your summertime electric bill. Try to get a unit with a two stage compressor. A variable speed is even better. Of course, either type of unit will cost more than a single stage, but well worth it in the long run.
And the installation/set up is key, so go with a reputable outfit.
Is your current unit roof or ground mounted?
Ground mounted costs less for the install since a crane service won't be needed in most cases.

Stu

P.S. sorry to hear about the coppa. You'll make it good one way or another.

Hey Stu! Our AC unit is on a little slab in the side yard. When we lived in CA we upgraded out AC unit thru One Hour Air, they service AZ and that's who I'll be calling. It came with a full P&L warranty for ten years, 5 ton unit, and they came out every year to check it out, great service. We also had them replace the heating unit later on, so we have a history of being pretty good customers. I'm figuring somewhere around $12K, painful, but needs to get done. RAY

I'm figuring somewhere around $12K, painful, but needs to get done.

Good that you already have someone in mind.
Yep, it's painful. But, so is being without a/c in 120° temps.
Our old unit needs a recharge but at $200/lb for R-12, we'll limp the unit along this summer.

Yeah Sven, I'm going to let this ride in the fridge for awhile, see what happens. I let it cure for two weeks before going into the UMAi bag, if nothing else I can always toss itin my Pro 100 or even onto the Weber for a hot and fast smoke. RAY

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky