Cookshack SM150 2003…issues using in cold weather?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

schneidmj

Original poster
Jan 30, 2023
Just picked up a SM150. Turned it on and the heat light came on and no control screen. Non responsive other than the power switch. 54 degrees… it then proceeded to give a readout on the display “overheating” and beeping.

After several tries it finally started working normally. I called tech support and was told a module on the control board doesn’t like anything under 60 degrees. Only option is to replace the control board with an iQ5 conversion at $1k. Anyone else experience these issues? I generally do a lot of big smokes over the holidays when it’s cold.

Thanks…

Per the description on the CookShack website. You could try a hair drier on the controller and see how that works and possible the heat from the smoker once it gets going will keep the module at or above 60 degrees.
1675122989685.png

Per the description on the CookShack website. You could try a hair drier on the controller and see how that works and possible the heat from the smoker once it gets going will keep the module at or above 60 degrees.
View attachment 656423
Tech support mentioned that but I was looking to see what others did to overcome this.

View attachment 656423
Sarge…where by chance did you find that information? Been looking all over their website and can’t find it.

I assume the SM160 is the SM 150 with the IQ5 control?

Under Support and click on SM Family Comparison Specs
That’s my understanding. I may eventually upgrade to the IQ5. But if it has the same issues as my current controller I’ll run it until it dies. My trusty Smokette has run in all sorts of weather including -60 degrees with no hickups. I should’ve done my homework better…

That’s my understanding. I may eventually upgrade to the IQ5. But if it has the same issues as my current controller I’ll run it until it dies. My trusty Smokette has run in all sorts of weather including -60 degrees with no hickups. I should’ve done my homework better…
I don't know anything about Cook Shack units. I searched out the info out of curiosity.
Maybe Fireboard had something to offer for a controller?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky