Cookshack Model 150 Rebuild

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

callmechimney

Original poster
Oct 2, 2020
It's time to rebuild this Cookshack serial #AC-2762 born 12-12-2000, 1550 watts with the IQ4 controller. That info may be useful to you later if you have one these with a bad controller. This the 120v electric model with 5 regular racks and three rib racks. It is a workhorse and the only time it was ever serviced was to disable the door switch. I have owned this unit for ten years and traded it straight up for an Imperial four-burner cooktop I took out of my catering trailer. It has seen all conditions, terrain, weather and will easily last another 20 years. It even has the spare element that came with it new.
The one and only issue is that one of the membrane/tactile switches (push button) on the front face doesn't work (Set Cook Temp) . The other auto functions (brisket or chix/ribs) work and you definitely continue using it as. However, the LCD display is dated and difficult to read from a distance and it has no thermocouple meat probe. I am going to fix that by replacing the IQ4 controller with a PID controller , meat probe and meat temp display
IMG_0340.JPG
IMG_0343.JPG
IMG_0339.JPG
IMG_0280.JPG
. Anyone who owns one of these with a faulty IQ4 but good tactile switches, get at me and you could fix your smoker like brand new in 10 minutes.

Nice looking pit.

Have you picked out a PID controller for your rebuild?

JC :emoji_cat:
Thanks! I have a Novus 1050 PID controller---it has RAMP and SOAK functions that can be programmed to be even better than original., The main consideration was to be able to fit the controller in the original cabinet and use the transformer, heatsink, relay etc. that are already in place.
My plan is to carefully remove the old controller and replace the face with a piece of 1/4" matte black acrylic sheet. This will now have two temp displays on its face (oven/meat), a jack for the meat probe and a usb jack for programming the PID without opening the back of the unit every time. I will use as much of the original wiring as possible but will replace the cheap plastic terminal blocks with better parts and move them out of the way for better clearance.
I recently stripped off the old paint and put on 3 coats of black appliance paint (rustoleum rattle cans) and used metro shelf clips to mount the wheels in the square stock feet. It looks like new now and will also have some cool graphics mounted next to the controller. I poached the .old schematic and butchered it into the wiring diagram . I hope to get started tomorrow cutting out the openings with the dremel and jigsaw. All parts are on hand just need to make time to get it done.
wiring diagram CS1050.png
IMG_0342.JPG
IMG_0347.JPG

Looks like quite the project. I am concerned about your wiring diagram. It looks like you have the output of your PID going to the AC input and also one leg of your SSR control input going to HOT. This is typically not how SSRs are wired. SSRs are typically controlled with a relatively low DC voltage. The SSR out on your PID controller should be going to the + and - terminals on the SSR. The AC input of the SSR should be wired to the incoming HOT wire and then to the heating element.

I have attached a typical wiring for an SSR controlled heater. Hope this is useful.

Attachments

• MES PID.pdf
    36.2 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Reactions: JLinza
I looked up your controller. It looks like you need

AC going to 8 - 9
SSR + to 5
SSR - to 4
TC + to 2
TC - to 1 (for k-type thermocouple)

Reactions: JLinza
Thank you for your input---it is much appreciated. I regret posting that wiring diagram--- Being a chef not an electrician or computer programmer I made some errors on the diagram but rest assured that It will be wired properly. This is my first post to SMF so I will build this over the next 7-10 days. I will follow up with a single post showing pictures of the progress/finished build like some of the better threads on this site. Also, I will have a free IQ4 Cookshack controller if anyone prefers swapping it out rather than paying $1600 to upgrade to the IQ5 from their website, just sayin'...

Reactions: JC in GB
That is great news. I would not want you to do an incorrect or unsafe installation.

Your smoker looks like a real gem.

Looking forward to your photos of your successful update.

Also looking forward to hearing some great coming ideas.

JC :emoji_cat: :emoji_cat:

Thank you for your input---it is much appreciated. I regret posting that wiring diagram--- Being a chef not an electrician or computer programmer I made some errors on the diagram but rest assured that It will be wired properly. This is my first post to SMF so I will build this over the next 7-10 days. I will follow up with a single post showing pictures of the progress/finished build like some of the better threads on this site. Also, I will have a free IQ4 Cookshack controller if anyone prefers swapping it out rather than paying $1600 to upgrade to the IQ5 from their website, just sayin'...
Would you still have that controller?

I have a sm150 and love it. But the board went out.
I contacted a guy on Fivver who repairs circuit boards and asked if he would be able to repair it.
He replied today saying to send it, that he fells like it would not be a problem to do the repair.
Would you have any ideas on the repair?
I feel like a new controller is way to expensive.

I have a sm150 and love it. But the board went out.
I contacted a guy on Fivver who repairs circuit boards and asked if he would be able to repair it.
He replied today saying to send it, that he fells like it would not be a problem to do the repair.
Would you have any ideas on the repair?
I feel like a new controller is way to expensive.
Hello, I have the same problem with my 150! Do you mind sharing the contact info on the board repair source?

Sure, I will have to find it again.
i have been busy with other things and have not had time to follow through yet.
I found him on “FIVERR.COM’
If you have not used or heard of fiverr.com, I highly recommend it.
We use it all the time for all sorts of tasks.
Please let me know how it works for you.

David

Hey Guys, I am a backyard smoker, avid electronic engineer and builder / repair guy for electronics. I just did an Iq4 repair. If you guys need help, hit me up. I also make replacement controllers for electric smoker like these cook shack ones using an Arduino .

Reactions: jaxgatorz
tnjent98; welcome to the forum from Minnesota, very nice for you to offer your help and knowledge with electronics! Enjoy your time here!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky