Cooking temps on a ECB

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ga_smoker

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jun 25, 2006
Wilmington, North Carolina
I'm new to smoking and to this forum. I have a Brinkmann Smoke n Grill and
I'm not happy with the "thermometer" on the rig. It has 3 settings, "Warm- Ideal-Hot". Anyone here that has one know about what temp is "warm" and "ideal"?? I've smoked a couple of butts and some chicken on it and the temps seems to stay between low and ideal (except when adding wood or charcoal, then it goes way past "hot") I have a thermometer from a turkey fryer that I might attach to the rig somehow.

Steve

Hey, Steve! Here's a suggestion I used to handle monitoring temp in my ECB. I bought a couple of inexpensive oven thermometers and placed them in my kitchen oven at 200, 250. and 300. They were surprisingly accurate. They were designed with a tab that allowed them to be hung just below the grills. Untill you get accustomed to the temp variations in your unit I would keep a thermometer on each grill and totally disregard the factory unit.
Hope this helps!
Cheers!
Monty

More than likely your thermometer is not acurate. You are going to , sooner or later, go out and purchase remote thermometers,. You want one that you can calibrate to ensure your temps are acurate. Everybody has their personal favorite, so shop around.

Hey Steve,
I have a modified ECB and my solution was to use a Digital thermometer in the meat. That way I can tell how the meat is doing and do not have to pull the lid. Since my ECB has been modified fire control is much easier. I just simply use the temp gage on the dome to make sure the fire does not get out of controll, or to tell me if I need to add fuel or not. I really don't use it much, but I try to keep it out of the warm range. Hope that helps.

Of the many modifications that you can do to your Brinkmann Smoke n Grill is to get a reliable thermometer. You may want to spend the bucks and get a replacement dial themometer that measures in DEGREES and can be calibrated. Another thing you can do is check out the digital probe themometers and see what's available. Check out the Thermometer Forum in the Smoking Supplies and Equipment .

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I am now in the process of doing the mods on my ECB. I'm going to check the stores tomorrow and find a good digital thermometer.

Steve

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky