Cook for a living??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
My wife and I have been kicking idea around for a couple years and finally just decided we don't have the time to put into it. We like our life/work balance as it is right now.

That sounds like a great plan. Just be aware of all the restrictions and such that food trucks face. Here in CA it is rough. The truck has to pass more tests than a B&M, you have to have a commercial facility at which to park the truck and store food, each county and city has its own restrictions on when and where you can park. You have to have the proper permits and licenses to operate in each town and county, etc...

I don't want to take any wind from your sails, just passing along info I've found out. Good luck!
I appreciate all the input, both positive and negative. 

As a truck driver and a former paramedic, I've had the opportunity to become extremely familiar with over-reaching government regulations.  I also watched my mother run the deli in a grocery store for 23 years and got a lot of advice from her as far as sanitation licenses, food handling licenses, etc.  An old school friend is a business adviser at the local university here and he's going to be helping out.  I'm taking it nice and slow so I don't jump into anything.  When I start the food truck, I can actually transition from driving a truck to working in the warehouse.  They have a shift where I would work three 12 hour shifts and have the other four days off.  That would allow me to keep a full-time job + benefits and run the food truck as well. 

As a truck driver and a former paramedic, I've had the opportunity to become extremely familiar with over-reaching government regulations.  I also watched my mother run the deli in a grocery store for 23 years and got a lot of advice from her as far as sanitation licenses, food handling licenses, etc.  An old school friend is a business adviser at the local university here and he's going to be helping out.  I'm taking it nice and slow so I don't jump into anything.  When I start the food truck, I can actually transition from driving a truck to working in the warehouse.  They have a shift where I would work three 12 hour shifts and have the other four days off.  That would allow me to keep a full-time job + benefits and run the food truck as well. 

That sounds like a good plan! Good luck!!!

Sounds to me that you are approaching this with your eyes open and a realistic business plan in place. Remember that under capitalization is the most likely cause of early business failure.

Sounds like you have a good plan. Just don't burn yourself out by working too much and never taking a break.

You're about to do something I often dream of...

Sounds like you have a good plan. Just don't burn yourself out by working too much and never taking a break.

You're about to do something I often dream of...
I got up at 2:30 this morning and drove 628 miles from Hershey, NE so I could be home this afternoon.  I'm so accustomed to running my butt off (I generally drive on average between 600-700 miles a day) so being able to do something I actually enjoy WILL be the break I need!

I still think I'm at least two years away from getting it done.  I have a lot to do before then.

From one driver to another.

You are going to have dreams!

Many dreams. 

For years, after leaving the OTR gig behind. 

Not all of those dreams are good.  But all are very alive and real, and make you sad for long time, with longings.

Don't be hasty in leaving it.

Last edited:
Quote:

From one driver to another.

You are going to have dreams!

Many dreams. 

For years, after leaving the OTR gig behind. 

Not all of those dreams are good.  But all are very alive and real, and make you sad for long time, with longings.

Don't be hasty in leaving it.
That's one of the great things about the company I work for.  I can stay part-time and take a run for them just about any time even if I don't work for them full-time.  If I don't want to be in a truck, they use a lot of the former truckers to drive management/executives back and forth between our St. Louis offices and our corporate office here in Mt. Sterling, IL.  Dot is a family-owned company and they take pretty good care of us.

If you're ever running across I-80 and find yourself at the 164 in Hershey, NE, I take my break there every Friday evening. 

Last edited:
A buddy and i are drawing up plans for a food truck here . Going to get plans approved by health board and fire Marshall before we turn the first screw. Figure to be operational by fall and then just do fairs festivals and weekend catering for 6 months to a year to get our name and food established. Then we will decide whether or not to go full time. Have had 4 trucks here try to make a go w/ bbq in the last 2 years and none have made it. thinking about a daily menu w/ bbq special a couple days a week

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky