cook chamber thermometer

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokedad

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Aug 16, 2016
NW Ohio
I am in the process of building an offset smoker, and I am to the point where I am going to start on the doors. I want to have a thermometer on the smoke chamber door to keep track of the temperature in the chamber. Does anyone have a suggestion for which thermometer is best to use for this, either a brand name or a specific one?
Another question I have is, do most people put a thermometer on the firebox door as well? I think that the smoke chamber temperature is probably more critical to know, but maybe it is just personal preference.
Thanks for any help.

If you are considering a bimetalic dial thermometer, be forwarned that those are notoriously inaccurate unless you get one that can be calibrated.

You might find this link helpful. https://www.instrumart.com

I would opt for drilling holes and using grommets so that you can pass digital thermo probes through to monitor grate temps and meat temps.

Thanks, SecondHandSmoker. What kind or brand of grommet would I use for that if I do as you suggest?

Thank you very much, SecondHandSmoker, I appreciate the information. I will check it out.

100% agree with SecondHand...
I've got silicone grommets in all 4 of my smokers...
I also have the "lid" or "door" thermos...
Inaccurate as can be but consistent...
Once you know how much "off" they are, they can be useful...measure the cook chamber with an accurate digital probe and compare it to your "dial" thermo to get an idea of what's what...once the difference is known it will at least let you know if you're in the ballpark at a glance.

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
Do most people put a temperature gauge on the firebox door or keep track of the firebox temp? I would like to know how hot I need the firebox to be so that I can get the temp I want in the cook chamber, but I don't know if there are too many variables, like the type of wood used, etc, to make it practical to do that.

Fire box therm-no
Therm-
River Country 5" (RC-T5L) Adjustable BBQ Grill Thermometer 50 to 550 F (Long Stem) under $40, amazon.
Drill hole with step drill and use lock nut (supplied)or make a thread-o-let out of steel pipe coupling, weld and screw in.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky