Convert propane to charcoal grill

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

flaming yawn

Original poster
May 23, 2015
Austin TX
Hi Ya'll-

I have a Brinkmann 2500 propane that has seen it's last days. I would like to convert it for charcoal and I have a few questions and ideas. I will of course remove the tank and burners from the frame and put something over the bottom to hold the briquettes. Most articles I have found suggest 18 GA metal plates or heavy duty foil trays. I am considering unglazed tile to help spread the heat. What do you think?

Will I need to do anything else to the grill? There are holes in the side for a rotisserie so there should be plenty of air flow. What could I do to dial down the airflow when needed?  

Am I asking for too much out of this project? Any ideas and tips would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Randy

I'm not one to build but some pics of the unit may help others give you some guidance.

did you ever do this?  My Weber is dead and I've tried repairing it to no avail...

what about lining the bottom with fire-hardened brick pavers with spaces so the ash can fall through?

I never had a chance to try it before the grill found its way to the curb. I would still like to try it in the new grill. Gas is great for convenience but charcoal adds so much flavor.

I have thought about putting one or two brickets in the grill to add smoke.

I think you might be better off with bbq grates from older gas grills thrown out or from homies.  I googled your model and came up with too many different pictures. I don't think you need to dial down the air flow unless it's coming from  the bottom where a grease pan goes.   If that's the case a piece of stainless or any other non poisonous metal laid /rolled/bent on the bottom would work.  Then add your grate for coals. You can always drill holes in the side and add bolts and a nut to hold this in place.  Above that do the same if you current grill doesn't afford the right height for the meat. Lastly  drill a hole in the top for a dampener to open and close to regulate the heat escape.  Also maybe run an aluminum leader pipe down to about 2-3" of the bottom as to not allow the smoke to escape but help in venting it.  This also works good for webers , just need  rectangular grills.  But anything to keep airflow under the coals will work.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky