Considering Good One Open Range....Need advice before buying

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

capitalhockey

Original poster
Mar 30, 2021
Long time user of 18'' WSM....looking for more space (had to cut rib to fit inside lid) and some direct heat grilling in a combo unit for my next purchase. For smoking, I like to do a lot of ribs, occasional butts and a few briskets. For grilling, I like to do burgers, hot dogs, steaks and chicken. My budget is up to 1200.

I did a wide range of research from pellet grills to Slow N Sear kettle. It's hard to find one that does both well. I am used to set and forget with WSM. I don't mind dialing in on vents but don't want to tend to a fire all day. I prefer one combo unit since I have a small deck space.

I heard lots of good things about pellets but I am hesitant due to less smoke flavor and limited direct grilling. The Slow N Sear kettle was good at both but lacked space (I like to do 3 to 4 ribs per session).

From my research, it seems like the Good One Open Range was the only thing that could provide what I was looking for: 1) Set and Forget temp controls, 2) Good at long smoke, 3) Direct grilling over charcoals , 4) Charcoal/wood flavors that I am used to.

I am wondering if there is something else I should consider that could do those things. I am about to pull the trigger and was offered a 5% discount with a free shelf, free cover and free shipping (about $1100 total). Is this a good deal or should I wait for Memorial Day sales?

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky