Condensation?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Fraser

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 23, 2018
Garland, TX
Probably a rookie question: I recently completed (if a uds is ever completed!) my drum and first two cooks. First cook was thighs, last cook was a rack of baby backs. After both cooks I noticed about 1/2 cup of water in the bottom of the barrel. It hasn’t rained in days, so it’s not leakage and I checked everything before the cook. Is this normal?

The Details: I’ve got a ‘last chance’ large pizza pan at the bottom of the drum. Next, a deep-dish pizza pan ash catcher attached to the bottom of the basket on 4” spacers.
6AEA390A-255A-4F91-B2D2-98BA1BF672FE.jpeg
The water puddles between ‘last chance’ pan and bottom of drum, leading me to suspect condensation dripping down the inside drum wall (?). It cleans out easy, just throw in a big wad of paper towels and it soaks right up.
Think I noticed same thing during seasoning burn (empty pit) but shrugged it off as moisture from Pam spray used to season barrel.

Could it be condensation? What the heck’s going on here?

I have been using a UDS for about a year now and have never had condensation in the bottom. However, I have had grease pool up at the bottom fairly frequently. Not sure if that's what it is but if your meat isn't hanging right over the coal basket it will build up after a while and start a fire that will spike your temps. I learned I have to clean it out every 4-5 cooks.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky