Come-Back Smoke: Double Packer Briskets, Burnt Ends & Taters in the Vault (Q-View)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Personally, I'm glad you fell off the wagon.  This is another great submission.  Looks like, knock on wood, you've overcome the photo upload problems that had you so down last year.

To all new people (those who've joined us since, oh, about last September), I strongly encourage you to take a look at all the links forluvofsmoke has in his signature element.  Wanna learn some real secrets? See the trials and tribulations of getting a smoke to the dinner plate?  Just plain "How to"?  His links are an excellent place to start.

Eric, I'm working on a project where I think I need, heck I know I need, your insight, something to experiment with.  PM on the way.

~Dave

Personally, I'm glad you fell off the wagon.  This is another great submission.  Looks like, knock on wood, you've overcome the photo upload problems that had you so down last year.

To all new people (those who've joined us since, oh, about last September), I strongly encourage you to take a look at all the links forluvofsmoke has in his signature element.  Wanna learn some real secrets? See the trials and tribulations of getting a smoke to the dinner plate?  Just plain "How to"?  His links are an excellent place to start.

Eric, I'm working on a project where I think I need, heck I know I need, your insight, something to experiment with.  PM on the way.

~Dave
Thanks for your kind words, Dave. The pic uploads did get on my nerves after awhile last year, but there seems to have been a lot of upgrades to the forum now, and apparently they straightened out a ton of problems, because I had no issues with this thread (20 or 30 pics on one post without previewing to save the page in case of freeze-up), so that made for a much easier and more enjoyable experience. Upload time isn't that bad now either. I did change back to fire fox several months ago and that may have solved some of the problems as well...EI8/9 really bite...had tons of problems with either version on multiple websites, and then, there's bing...not my idea of what a search engine should be...using ixquick, now.

Anyway, without the frustration of posting, I think I'll be back on more and more...just want to start out slow and easy and keep a reasonable pace...but, we'll see if that lasts or not...I experiment so much, if I stumble into something others may want to try, then I post it, so, if I do start cooking after work, etc, like I did for a few years earlier, it could get heavy again.

Regarding my sig line, I probably still need to do more updates on it, but it's pretty well loaded already...well, I think I used to be limited-out, but I did add a few things again in the last several weeks, so there must have been an increase in the maximum allowed...that would be cool. Other folks should tap into their latest and greatest and drop it into their sig lines, too...no point in letting things lay just because the thread isn't active anymore...it's still good info to have quick access to, IMHO...heck I pull up some of my own just for easy access to recipes when I'm in the mood for a re-do.

I read your PM today at work on my Blackberry...it was was about an hour after you sent your PM when I pulled up my profile (I check in a couple times each day, lately), so it's had me thinking about it for about 12 hours already. Well, I gotta drop you a couple quick questions, then I'll have a better idea if I'm thinking on the right track or not. I may have a couple of methods in mind already, so I'm thinking it's time to get into some detailed theories that follow what you already mentioned, some light fab-work, and get on with test trials. Yep, I think you got me for this one...

Heading back to your PM right now...later, Brother!.

Eric

I took the liberty of forwarding your PM response on to Todd to get the ball rolling.  I know of a couple other users here who also use the "Drum" style smoker and once we get this thing "smoking", we can send the ideas to them through Todd to test the viability.  I think this will be a great project for this year.

Eric, what a wonderful "ride" you give us everytime you share your joy. I'll never forget when I joined this community & you treated me like I was your neighbor. Its folks like you that make this world a place I want to be part of. Thanks for helping me out......and I'm sure I'm not the only one you have "saved".........

Spring is in the air my friend.

Jerry

I took the liberty of forwarding your PM response on to Todd to get the ball rolling.  I know of a couple other users here who also use the "Drum" style smoker and once we get this thing "smoking", we can send the ideas to them through Todd to test the viability.  I think this will be a great project for this year.
I'm really looking forward to this. I think I've already got the 'itch" to make something happen. Hmm, I just realized, I have a few slabs of spare ribs in the freezer that would make ideal candidates for a revival with the charcoal gourmet.

Bring it on! Ha-ha-ha!

Eric

Eric, what a wonderful "ride" you give us everytime you share your joy. I'll never forget when I joined this community & you treated me like I was your neighbor. Its folks like you that make this world a place I want to be part of. Thanks for helping me out......and I'm sure I'm not the only one you have "saved".........

Spring is in the air my friend.

Jerry
Thanks, Jerry! Glad I could be of assistance to you, and help you feel at home here. If I can help even just one person each day, then I've had a good day, but the more the merrier, IMHO. Paying it forward for the great tips and methods, as well as some inspiration to step out of my comfort zone and go with some of the off-the-wall stuff I do from time to time, well, it just keeps that big wheel turning.

I do hope that everyone who joins this community, or I should say family, feels welcome here, and isn't afraid to ask for help. We're all here to learn, share our successes as well as our trips and falls, and offer an open hand for those needing help. Heck, I've been here on the forums for awhile now, and I still have a lot to learn...you never stop learning, no matter what you're doing, or how successful you are at it. Sometimes those first couple of steps are the toughest, but after we get our balance figured out, we're ready to take the bigger steps. Once in a while, we just need a little help in figuring out which foot to pick-up first, and then a little nudge in the right direction to put us into motion. Once that happens, look out, because all smokin' hell breaks loose...LOL!!!

Eric

drool.gif
Man that looks good. Thanks. 

Thank you for posting such in depth instructions! This post has sealed the deal and I got the brisket out of the freezer yesterday. Going to smoke it this week, along with a pork butt and some Three Bean casserole. Yes I have learned that the meat is done when it's done and no amount of hurrying is going to make it go any faster and still be wonderful in the end. The last butt I smoked weighed 11 lbs no foil and took right around 28 hrs...I just let it ride. I have the time and the patience (I raised 4 boys-one of which was a preemie and blind) and the BF works out of town so no one to bug me!

Thanks guys! Alesia, when you get ready to start your brisket, just be patient...it's done when it's done, as we always say. It won't make too much difference if you have a gas or electric, but some of the info I leave you with here about niches with vertical smokers (if you will be using one) will be helpful. And, of course, there's tons of folks here that can help walk you through it. Don't fear the brisket, just respect it and give it it's due time to cook...if you get it even close to a good finish, you will be rewarded with some dandy eating beef with a very unique flavor and texture. If over or under cooked, think of it as a learning tool, rather than a total loss.

My first packer 3-1/2 years or so ago was a bummer, and I swore I'd never do another packer...I just didn't know what I was doing...about 8 months later I was armed with more knowledge for baseline techniques from others posting on the forums, and with a few twist of my own for techniques and methods, I've been in brisket heaven ever since. There's no right or wrong way to smoke them, but it's more about what works best, and in my case, I like to experiment and play with variables just for kicks, so I tend to not do things the same way very often, but instead look for other little tricks to find just a bit better finished product. Sometime it works, sometimes I get myself into little predicaments and have to pull some tricks to correct things, as long as I catch it in time.

Another great tutorial Eric. Man I wish I could have tasted that plate. Great job

Thank you for posting such in depth instructions! This post has sealed the deal and I got the brisket out of the freezer yesterday. Going to smoke it this week, along with a pork butt and some Three Bean casserole. Yes I have learned that the meat is done when it's done and no amount of hurrying is going to make it go any faster and still be wonderful in the end. The last butt I smoked weighed 11 lbs no foil and took right around 28 hrs...I just let it ride. I have the time and the patience (I raised 4 boys-one of which was a preemie and blind) and the BF works out of town so no one to bug me!
You're very welcome! It's awesome that you're going for it...there can never be too many brisket smokers around, and I still feel that packer briskets are the king of smoked beef. They're just so versatile with all the different things you can make from them. Not the easiest thing you could smoke, but well worth the effort in turning one out. Hey, sounds like you have a great recipe for smoking...time, patience and no distractions...that's perfect!

Ha-ha, yeah, 28 hours on a 11lb butt...sounds about right to me for no-foil. One of my last brined 8lb butts pushed 25.5 hours...foiling saves time, but destroys that marvelous bark you get without foil.

Have a great smoke!!!

BTW, my wife and oldest son said this was one of my best briskets thus far...just goes to show, you take a break from smoking for awhile, do one up, think you partly screwed it up, and it ends up being one your better brisket smokes...I will say, I've had some pretty tender and moist sliced flat before, but not quite like this one...BE's were really, really nice, too. Still eating on this smoke, too, and every night it seems to taste a little better that the night before...how can this be? I'm way beyond smoke desensitization by now, so it's not that.

Oh, I did take some time and looked back...my last brisket was in late June, 2011, so not quite as long as I thought, but still way too long.

Hey Scarbelly, wish you could have been here for a plate, man! I'd be proud to share a couple plates with ya...and it's not like we didn't have enough to go around.

Thanks, everyone! Hope you enjoyed it as much as we did, well, still are!

Eric

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky