Cold weather smoking on thanksgiving.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Wolves1

Original poster
Oct 7, 2018
I’m new to smoking, I have a Oklahoma joe highland. I’ve been practicing with a 7 pound roasting chicken for two 12 pound turkeys for thanksgiving, with your help I finally made a chicken that my wife and kids all said best chicken they ever had. Now being also into weather I am seeing for the weather models thanksgiving morning may be 24f degrees thanksgiving morning. I’m am getting nervous, would very much appreciate tips, advice or reassurance that adding more fuel will be enough.

Sure others will respond familiar with the OJ smoke. My wood burner home made 20160612_165100.jpg isn't affected as much by cold, but wind or especially cold wind plays havoc. Welding blankets can be your best friend for out side influence causing problems.

Reactions: motolife313
u could get a blanket that can withstand high heat. I think they make welding blankets that would work. Place that over the grill to keep the wind and cold off it. Not much else to do unless u wanna put in a lot of work a build a shed for it. Certain woods will burn hotter then others too is another option. Like apple and oak burn hot. Oak produces really nice coals

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky