Cold Weather Climate and Looking for a MES

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sluggo

Original poster
Feb 26, 2011
Hi everyone,

I am new to SMF so thanks for all the wonderful information! I am looking to get a MES, but I live in WI so I want to know if I should be worried about the cold weather. In particular, I am looking to get the 30" black MES from Cabela's @ $199.

Will the heating element be strong enough, os should I get something different?

Thanks guys!

It's 2° today in Minnesota, and I'm smoking in my 40" MES.  I own (2) and run them almost every day, sometimes for 24 hours.

For another $100 you can get a 40" at SAMS Club.  It's bigger, 1,200 watt element and has the new wireless remote.

Todd

Last edited:
It's 2° today in Minnesota, and I'm smoking in my 40" MES.  I own (2) and run them almost every day, sometimes for 24 hours.

For another $100 you can get a 40" at SAMS Club.  It's bigger, 1,200 watt element and has the new wireless remote.

Todd
Todd is right on getting the bigger one - you will not regret it

Todd - love the new Avitar!!!

I live in central SD and we are in the single digits as well right now and have the MES 40" w/1200 watt element and have no problems smoking this time of year.  I would get the 40" so then you don't find yourself having to cut down ribs or briskets.  Besides with all the projects you find here its always nice to say I have room while I'm doing supper to do a batch of Dutch's beans or try smoked nuts or whatever.

Thanks all for the feedback! I am pretty set on the 30", as I don't have a whole bunch of folks to cook for and I could use the $100 on something else.

Is there any advice for using an extension cord with a MES? I saw someone on Amazon saying unless you have an "industrial" extension cord the element might not heat fully...is that a bunch of BS?

Sluggo: check Walmarts website for the MES 30..i picked one up in January for 159.00. Only 12.95 to ship to my home in northern Wisconsin. Great smoker and the 800 watt element works awesome  on our cold winter days.

I don't know about "industrial" but I wouldn't use a cheap indoor extension cord. I got my MES 30 at Lowes for $179.00. Don't forget to get yourself an a-maz-n smoker also, you won't regret it and it works great with MES smokers.

I have an MES 30, but I semi-retired it for my new MES 40, for all of the reasons mentioned above.

Size---------------Much more room.

Power------------My 1200 watts is Great for PA in the Winter, with plenty of extra HP.

Extras------------Glass door, wheels, remote control, light, built in meat probe.

The new MES 40 is just flat out AWESOME !

And like Porked said, don't forget to get an AMNS !  You'll never regret it.

Bear

Last edited:
You do need a good quality extension cord so you dont cause a fire or ruin your smoker

Well, the 30" MES is fired up and seasoning! Looking forward to learning more here at SMF!

Well, the 30" MES is fired up and seasoning! Looking forward to learning more here at SMF!
Congratulations.gif

Great!!

Don't worry about the space.

Put my handle in the search tool and look at at the smokes I have done with my liitle ol 30.

I did have to cut some ribs racks in half ..but it had no effect on how they turn out!!

Have a great day and have fun!!

Craig

I highly reccomend getting an amazen.

Last edited:
Today was a good day...new MES 30" and now an Amazen is heading my way for a pork butt next weekend!!!

Yaaaaaa!!! Make some ABTs and chicken thighs while you're waiting..

Craig

Congratulations, don't forget to post plenty of Qview...

Well, i could not wait so I had to smoke 4 chicken breasts (bone in) with some rub from Cabela's. They took about 2 hours and were smoked with a mix of apple and hickory...my wife and I loved them!!
802a68d6_photo.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky