Cold smoking in a fridge

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

blucmal

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 21, 2019
I live in a hot climate often 40c in summer. Wondering cold smoking in a fridge, anyone that does it, how much mess does it make in the fridge. Thinking of getting a fridge with glass door for salumi charcutcherie. Want to ferment smoke dry in the one cabinet. Is keeping the glass clean gunna be a major pita?

When making salami chorizo etc. Can you ferment then hot smoke then dry it? Everything I read says cold smoke.

Hmm, I'm guessing by using the fridge that you want the fridge to be actually running to keep things cool while cold smoking? I would say no. Unless you want to figure out how to both inject the smoke. And exhaust it. And how to keep the internals from the fridge from getting coated with the residue from the smoke. It will permeate into everything and cleaning it would be almost impossible.
Just use a regular smoker with a smoke generator. And put trays of ice under what you are cold smoing.

First cured then fermented then hot smoked then dried?

I am thinking maybe it will kill the cure #2 protection at hot smoked temp..

perhaps I can cure ferment dry then hot smoke. Be interested to hear from people with first hand experience..

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky