Cold Smoking Hard Cheeses

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mds51

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Nov 10, 2011
Oklahoma City
Has anyone cold smoked hard cheeses like Manchego , Pecorino or Parmasan? I have smoked a lot of the softer cheeses with great results but was wondering if the harder cheeses would take the cold smoking?
Thanks
mds51

Thanks for the reply! I will try a few pieces since these are usually much more expensive cheeses. I am providing the Charcuterie for my Son`s wedding and he and his bride to be asked if I could smoke Manchego cheese. This is a strong flavor cheese so it will be interesting to see what cold smoking does to it. I will use Apple pellets to keep it mild and not too strong.
mds51

I am with @Holly2015 that they will take on smoke but not sure to what effect. I am a big manchego fan and smoking it doesn't really sound exciting to me. Manchego is fairly dry for cheese and smoking it might dry it out further. I much prefer dust over pellets for cheese.

The hardest I've done is 48 month black diamond cheddar. I light 1 end of my amnps w/dust and let it go until it burns out. ~12 hrs. Then let it mellow for 2 months +. That would be a block about 1" thick.

I find the harder the cheese, the longer it needs to smoke.

Don
Edit - i normally use 1/2 alder & 1/2 pecan.

Last edited:
Reactions: zwiller
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky