Cold Smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kiwitom

Original poster
Jul 27, 2022
Has any one added a cold smoke generator to the side of a Pit Boss Silver Star series 3. It would mean drilling a hole in the side of the smoker to mount the cold smoker. The way these work is they have a air pump blowing smoke in. You fill the tube with wood chips and light it and the air conditioner pump blows the smoke in. I’m worried about drilling a hole in the side of the pit boss

Attachments

• 49B5AB0D-F86B-41B8-9481-03E4570D9A47.png
    49B5AB0D-F86B-41B8-9481-03E4570D9A47.png
    102.4 KB · Views: 12
  • E763B8F2-F84F-4E97-88A4-C79E87EC92B0.png
    E763B8F2-F84F-4E97-88A4-C79E87EC92B0.png
    128.6 KB · Views: 12
It would be easier and cheaper to use a A-Maze-N tube or tray. I prefer a tray for cold smoke. No drill required.

I agree with BigW. Look into the A-Maze-N smoke tube, they work well. I would not want to dill big holes either.
I use mine in the cook chamber of my gas grill for smoking cheese.

I see its your first post... welcome to your new addiction (The forums) ...

There has been MANY of people on here that have tried that style of cold smoker... 99.5% of those users were really dissatisfied/disappointed (to say the least) ... If I'm not mistaken, some even tried to choke the forced air down...
Reason being... This rig puts out WAY to much, all white smoke... Mostly because of the forced air (fan)... Some got better results from smoking for a shorter period of time... But everything they did come out bitter/creosote tasting ...
The normally aspirated (no fan) pellet burners seems to be the cure... As mentioned above... A-MAZE-N tray or tubes are the go to ... I have several of each and have great results with them...
Do a search for ''Mailbox Mod'' and see if that would be a better route to go for your cold smoking needs...

Where's the air intake on the Pit Boss? Yes for A-Maze-N tube or tray and if there an air intake near the bottom, then yes for a mailbox method.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky