Cold smoked salmon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pushok2018

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Oct 12, 2017
San Francisco East Bay area, CA
Atlantic farmed raised salmon was on sale last week at $6.99 per # and as soon as was going to my local supermarket anyway, I decided to increase my stush of smoked salmon.
Got five fillets and using SmokinAl brining method (thank you, SmokinAl ! ) brined fillets for 48 hours. In the brine. I omitted first part of SmokinAal method and didn't soak salmon in salty water first.

IMG_2321.jpg

In 48 hours I removed them from the fridge, rinsed with cold water to remove all remaining salt and dried with paper towels:

IMG_2322.jpg

... and on the rack back to fridge to dry overnight:
IMG_2332.jpg

Next day in the smoker. Ambient temperature in the morning was 50F and never raised above 55F during the smoke:

IMG_2333.jpg

Smoked salmon for 5 and a half hours and out of smoker:
IMG_2336.jpg

As soon as I still don't have a vacuum sealer (replacement VacMaster Pro 380 is arriving today by end of the day) I bagged all fillets in the plastic bag and in the fridge until I am able to vac seal them tonight.
Decided to try some this morning so grabbed half of one fillet and sliced it:

IMG_2340.jpg
IMG_2342.jpg

Very nice taste - just enough of salt and smokiness....

Thank you for watching!

Man that looks really good! You should be stocked up for a while now!

That should tide you over for a bit, nice looking Salmon. Good Job.

Point for sure
Chris

Nice piece of work Push, I did 20 pounds this winter using Smokin' Al's recipe, it's the best! The price you found is about as good as it gets, that's what I keep my eye out for. I wish I knew how to make this all the years I was hauling chinooks out of the Pacific, just hot-smoked them then. Make some bagels, get a little shmear, you won't need dinner. RAY

Nice piece of work Push, I did 20 pounds this winter using Smokin' Al's recipe, it's the best!Make some bagels, get a little shmear, you won't need dinner.
Thank you, Ray! I appreciate your like. Yes, a bagel with cream cheese, slice or two of smoked salmon topped with slice of tomato.... Mmmm... I love it but... trying to stay away from carbs. I use two-three paper thin slices of baguette with salmon and tomato on them... At least I can enjoy what is still enjoyable. :emoji_wink:

Thanks, Sowsage! Yes, it going to last for a while.... because I won't be able to share with my relatives, friends and teammates while staying home locked!!!! :emoji_disappointed: Wish I could....

I think you're staying home loxed. Hehehee.

That is some beautiful Nova lox. :emoji_thumbsup: Would you mind posting the link to SmokinAl's recipe? I do a double cure on mine, but I'm always open to new ideas. I hear you about not being able to share with friends, although I've done a few curbside drop off care packages. If you are into canning, next time you smoke salmon or trout, you can cold smoke it for no more than 2 hours, and can it. It's a good alternative and is really good.
43wic0k.jpg

Reactions: Aledavidov
thirdeye, thank you and I appreciate you like! Below is a link to smokinAl recipe:
If you are into canning, next time you smoke salmon or trout, you can cold smoke it for no more than 2 hours, and can it. It's a good alternative and is really good.
In fact, I am still thinking of getting into canning field... Need to buy a pressure canner and it's about $300 plus... another piece of equipment.... I just afraid my wife will linch me for expending my hobbies.... :emoji_laughing: I may do it anyway... :emoji_wink:

thirdeye, thank you and I appreciate you like! Below is a link to smokinAl recipe:

In fact, I am still thinking of getting into canning field... Need to buy a pressure canner and it's about $300 plus... another piece of equipment.... I just afraid my wife will linch me for expending my hobbies.... :emoji_laughing: I may do it anyway... :emoji_wink:

Thanks for the link.

It's the All American canners that are in the $300 range. Presto has a 16 Qt and a 23 Qt model in the $80 to $100 range. All American are the Cadillac of canners, and they don't need a gasket. I've used them at a few canning parties and the only con I can see is the weight. I've had my current Presto for about 35 years and I'm on my 3rd gasket. This year might be different, but I typically can 45 to 75 jars per year, so the Presto is a good value.

BTW, I also use my canner as a pressure cooker... like pressure finishing 2 or 3 pastrami, or cooking pork butts or chickens for big batches of soup or enchiladas or tamales. Maybe this could be a selling point to convince your wife.

Winterrider said: "I see a little room right behind your 800 watt Anova on your list of toys for the Presto 23 Qt"
I like you mentioned that. I am currently in the process of negotiation with my wife in regard to Pesto 23Qt. :emoji_wink:

Isn’t that a great recipe? We love it! Great job salmon looks terrific! Your slices look real nice as well...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky