Cold smoked bacon - Smoke times?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
That's actually a good question. I think the main reason is that I don't believe factory's or butchers that make bacon around here(EU) Hot smoke it. Other than that I don't really have a good reason. I guess I just started reading cold smoke threads first.. But I would think the only reason for hot smoking is safety concerns. But I will be trying both to see which turns out better.

Yes, what I did was I split the belly into 2 parts. I'll try the cold smoke method and your method. I might not have time to do the second method tomorrow. Would it be ok to freeze the belly and try the hot smoke method in 2 weeks or so?

I never froze cured Belly before Smoking.
It's been discussed here in the past, but I don't remember the concensus. Dave probably knows the results, and can tell you. I think it might screw up the cure, but I'm not sure.
Or you can freeze it before curing, and then cure & smoke that one in 2 weeks.
That would be Fine.

Bear

OK, maybe I'm missing something.....I cured 2 pork bellies in a modified Pop's brine for 2 weeks. I semi cold smoked it for 12 hours at 140 until internal temp reached 130ish.

I think we need the REAL definition of cold smoking here. I'm not understanding the quote of "semi cold smoked.......at 140". 140 is above any cold smoking numbers I have seen.

Marianski: His smoking temp defeintions..
Cold Smoking
Cold smoking at 52-71° F (12-22° C), from 1-14 days
Warm Smoking
Continuous smoking at 73-104° F (23-40° C), from 4-48 hours depending on the diameter of the meat, humidity 80%, and medium smoke.
Hot Smoking
Hot smoking is the most common method of smoking. Continuous smoking at 105-140° F (41-60° C), 0.5-2 hours

Reactions: mike w and zwiller
I have tried both methods....cold and hot smoking and much prefer cold smoking. I use 1 tbls of MTQ and 1 tbls of Brown sugar per pound of belly (you can add some garlic, pepper, or whatever if you like also) and dry cure in vacuum sealed bags (turning every day) for 14 days. Wash off the cure and let dry overnight in the refrigerator. Then I use the Amazn tray with pellets and smoke it for 10 hours. Then back in the refrigerator over night and smoke it again for another 10 hours. Turns out awesome!. I only do bacon in the spring and fall as I want to keep my temp in the smoker at 70F-75F.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky