Cold smoked Albacore

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Still needing to make more room in our freezers for this upcoming fishing season, I elected some Albacore Tuna loins to spend some time in some brine and then in the smoker. Wish I had done way more for I've already given most of this batch away. More in the freezer waiting their turn.

Found a thread some time ago from a Canadian Sportfishing forum that looked promising. Though there were no details, there was enough to get me in trouble....in a good way. This was the 3rd time, I've tried this recipe recently.

--Brined the loins for 20 hours in a dry mix of brown sugar and rock salt 3/1 ratio which also had some fresh fennel, dill, lemon zest and tarragon.
--Rinsed and fridged for 5 hours
--Room dried for 2 hours
--Cold smoked with apple for 5.5 hours
--Back into the fridge over night.

Being room dried:
View attachment 481982View attachment 481983

My favorite cold smoker (Masterbuilt gasser with no gas) AMNPS on a tray below the burner (will try to find some pics of the AMNPS in position).
View attachment 481984View attachment 481986

Finished product. I really like the addition of fresh fennel, dill & tarragon to the dry brine. Really adds a great flavor. All I need is to get out some crackers and cream cheese.......
View attachment 481987

View attachment 481988
If you need any help with cleaning out the ole freezer, let me know. I'll send you a perishable packing box and pay for the 2 day shipping from SF to SC!!! Always willing to help a friend in need! 🍻

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky