Coffee Marinated Salmon with Smoked Apple Salad

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

czarcastic

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jan 17, 2011
Largo, FL and Dunlap, TN
This is one of my favorite salmon recipes.  Long story short we've been tailgating at every Tampa Bay Bucs home game for the last 15 years.  Every Tailgate is "themed" based on the opponent.  So, for instance if we play the Giants we might make NY Strips, or a NY- style cheesecake, or a pitcher of "Manhattans" or "Cosmopolitans" to drink, depending on whether we were in charge of main dish, dessert, or cocktail for that game.  Only rule is everything has to be home made.  No running out to Publix to grab a cheesecake on the way to the stadium.

A few years ago when the Bucs played the Seattle Seahawks, we designed this recipe.  After all, what says "Seattle" better than seafood and coffee?

The Marinade is pretty simple:  Some strong brewed coffee, Soy, Worcestershire, brown sugar, sesame seeds, cider vinegar,  onion, and garlic  (send me a PM if you want the actual recipe)

After 4 hours the fish looks like this and is ready for the grill or smoker.

36371179_SALMON1.jpg

In the meantime I use one of those apple corer-slicer to open up the apple (about 3/4 of the way)  - take out the core, and fill with brown sugar, black walnuts, and top with a pat of butter.

bff869aa_APPLE1.jpg

d53cbb41_APPLE2.jpg

631acf7d_APPLE3.jpg

Then everything goes on the smoker @225º +/-.  Salmon on the lower rack, apples on top (so the salmon doesn't drip into the apples)

After a few hours, the salmon is done, 

f591f788_SALMON2.jpg

and so are the apples

58c67b00_APPLE4.jpg

Plate the apples over spring greens with a home-made apple vinaigrette, and server the salmon with a brown-sugar/espresso reduction (recipes on request).

50faad97_SALMON3.jpg

1ebcf649_SALMON4.jpg

Dinner is served!

Sounds like a great time.

The food looks awesome!!!

Craig

Looks Great, I love Salmon, it is just expensive here in Kansas...

We use coffee in a marinade for beef roast

I'm gonna try this salmon recipe

Looks Great

Todd

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky