Coffee can and wood chips/chunks?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ronfpid

Original poster
Oct 10, 2008
I noticed in another thread, someone mentioned using a 'cut down coffee can' for holding the wood. I tried searching but couldn't find any specifics. Can I ask some questions for those who do this?

* Coffee can size?
* How much should I cut off in height?
* Any holes in the bottom, sides?
* Is it placed right on the coals?

Thanks!

I have a gosm I cut just enough off of the can to fit under water pan. No holes or nothing else done. Just make sure there is no paint on it. I burn't mine off first. I use a 2lb can. Just one other thing you will find that the chips burn up fast. I soak the chips when I use the can.

GOSM.. I gotta google that, I see that term on here and don't even know what it means
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the info. I got a nice empty coffee can sitting at home right now, I'll get the paint off and try it this weekend. I bought a rack of beef ribs last night, dying to make the right for a change tomorrow night. Wish me luck!

I use a 48 oz juice can, foil the top and poke a few holes in it and it seems to work fine.

Oh you have to cover the top when doing this? Thanks, I'd have left it wide open

(this forum is great, you don't have to wait 3 days for a reply
icon_smile.gif
)

That might be why Jack's chips burn up so fast. I use chunks not chips and that may make a difference too. Good Luck!!

I gotta find some chunks, Walmart used to sell them but couldn't find em last time. I hate chips, love the chunks

I tried the coffe can in my Brinkman offset fired by a turkey burner. I had split down some hickory into about 1 inch strips that were the same length as the can with a hatchet, placed it above the burner. It made real nice smoke for a hour to 2 hours. I need to do it again one of these days.

just take that can and sow it off where it will fit under your water pan. I used to cover mine wiht foil , but here lately I have stopped, if you do cover it with foil make sure you poke 10 or so holes in it so the smoke can get out. You will get smoke faster this way and it will last longer too.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky