Cleaning smoker and possibly upgrading

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fatmcrat

Fire Starter
Original poster
Apr 4, 2009
Livingston, TN
So I am cleaning my grates for my smoker, and need to clean the inside too. Not sure what I should use to clean the inside.  I haven't fired up the smoker in over a year, and there are cob webs and wasp nests in it.  Gonna lend it to a family member to smoke some hams this weekend, and I'm going to be smoking at least one turkey next Wednesday. 

For my grates, I put them in the oven on self cleaning to clean the cast iron really good, then applied a light coat of oil on them and put them back in for about 2 hours.  I done that before and it worked really well.  I was thinking about just using a mild soap cleaner on the inside and then light oil then throw some a good sized chimney full of hot charcoal in it.  Let me know what you think is the best decision.  It is a char griller offset smoker I have had for about 5-6 years.  Still works good, but I just done use it that much anymore.

Ok now on to spending money...I have been reading a lot into wood pellet smoker/grills for the past several months and Lowes has a Char-Griller for 499.  They seem to be real nice, but I'm not still not sure about it.  I haven't used gas to cook anything in a very long time, and I love the flavor that charcoal gives meat.  Can I get the same flavor out of a Wood Pellet Grill/Smoker. 

Here is the link for the one I have been looking at mostly.

https://www.chargriller.com/pellet-grills/wood-pro-grill-9020-9020#tab-reviews

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

John

Id burn a really hot fire in it for a long while then after everything is burnt out I would steam out the cooking chamber.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky