Cleaning Rust

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

1ray

Smoke Blower
Original poster
May 19, 2014
Garland Tx
How is the best way to clean the rust out of the inside of a fire box. I have been using a wire brush but just can’t seem to get back down to shiny metal again so I can get it oiled down.

Last edited:
Oil will pretty much burn up on each cook and has to be reapplied after each cook, knock the loose off cook cool spray and be done with it.

Not sure it's worth the effort to keep a shiny fire box. Paint or oils will not last so rust will just occur again. If you really need to satisfy your OCD then wire brush on drill then naval jelly.

How is the best way to clean the rust out of the inside of a fire box. I have been using a wire brush but just can’t seem to get back down to shiny metal again so I can get it oiled down.
How long are you leaving ashes in the firebox? Ashes will draw moisture and cause rust. I clean the ashes out of my firebox as soon as they are cool enough to remove and I don't have any rust on the INSIDE. The outside is rusty, but that's a constant battle. An angle grinder with a wire wheel will make quick work of the rust and will probably be easier to use on the inside as opposed to a drill motor and wire wheel.
1616757976707.png

Reactions: 1ray
I always clean the ash out after every cook. I did take my grinder with a wire brush yesterday and the n got a paint brush and plastic container and painted it with canola oil.

Reactions: Alphonse
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky