Cleaing Traeger Texas Grate

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

okie54

Original poster
Oct 24, 2013
Edmond, OK
Cleaning the Texas grate has been a pain.  In the past I've thrown my previous smokers grates on an NG grill and burned them clean but this grate is too big for my grill.  Probably will cut it in half and throw them on the NG grill unless someone has an easier solution.  

Last edited:
How hot does that Traeger get at grate level?  I can get my Rec Tec to 500*+, so what I usually do is crank it up to high for a while (say 20 minutes) after I pull the meat off, then use a wire grill brush on the grates while they're still nice and hot.  This usually works pretty well, although it does affect my pellet consumption a little.  I don't have a gas grill anymore, so that's not an option for me.

Red

I've seen mine reach 475 degrees since I've had it this fall.  Probably could brush after it went at that temp for a while.  

I still prefer torching it just because it gets the underside of the grill cleaned too but thats just the way i've done it for a long time and it didn't require much effort on my part.  

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky