Christmas Prime Rib

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I think Smoke 2 Geaux has it right in the first part of his answer. I just smoked a 6.5 lb'er on my gasser for Tnxgiving, and did an 11 lb rib in July on my stick burner. They were both great, but neither beat a good prime rib straight from the oven. Finishing off a parcooked roast runs the risk of leaving it dry and stringy, especially if you're finishing it a couple of days later.

Also, I'm not overly paranoid about food hygiene (even though I just came off of an 8 day stint of salmonella - fast food...), but if you only cook it to 120 and don't have a blast chiller - not quite sure what kind of nasties might grow in there...

Gonna have to agree w/ everyone.  Cook it there.  I rub mine down w/ dijon mustard, salt and pepper.  Cook really hot oven.  Also,  something everyone like is Yorkshire pudding.  My friends refer to it as meat bread.  Look up the recipe I promise you will like it. 

We use the drippings from the roast for the pudding.  yum yum!

I too agree with cook it there but he asked for options to do it another way. I would just throw it in the oven and be a happy camper for sure. Garlic, Rosemary, Sage, S&P and into the oven -

This actually makes me sad.  I really wanted to smoke a prime rib.  I figured that someone might have a good suggestion for me....

I picked up a 9lb rib on saturday.  They had a 13, but I didn't relly like the looks of the meat.  I was kind of flat, and if I am paying $8.29/lb, I want it to look like I expect.  I am going to stop by Costco on my way home tonight, and if they have prime rib at a reasonable price I might buy another.  Then I can just do one in the oven up there and smoke one at home for the wife and I.

I'm still holding out hope that I can come up with a way to smoke it up there.  I might be able to strap the smoker I have to the luggage rack on the car,....

This actually makes me sad.  I really wanted to smoke a prime rib.  I figured that someone might have a good suggestion for me....

I picked up a 9lb rib on saturday.  They had a 13, but I didn't relly like the looks of the meat.  I was kind of flat, and if I am paying $8.29/lb, I want it to look like I expect.  I am going to stop by Costco on my way home tonight, and if they have prime rib at a reasonable price I might buy another.  Then I can just do one in the oven up there and smoke one at home for the wife and I.

I'm still holding out hope that I can come up with a way to smoke it up there.  I might be able to strap the smoker I have to the luggage rack on the car,....
man, if you really want to smoke it there, i am with Princess on leaving a smoker as a gift... an ECB preassembled with mods and already seasoned be a heck of a xmas present. best of all you can still smoke the roast. they really are best right off the smoker .(foiland wrap in a towel for an hour rest)... imho the oven cooked wouldnt be even close.

So I am just going to do it in the oven.  Can anyone recommend a recipe?  I saw one on diners, drive-ins, and dives this past weekend, but they don't give the actual recipe.  Also I can't really remember it anyway.  All I can remember is that there was worchester sauce and I think brown sugar.  I was marinaded over night. 

I know I could just do EVOO, sea salt, CBP, rosemary, and thyme, but I would like to do something a little more unique.

ECB isn't that bad in cold temps if you have decent mods. I would have a really hard time deep frying that nice of a cut of beef. Getcha an ecb, use it and leave it as a present. The meat may cost more than the ecb. IMHO there is not a good way to reheat a prime rib without people tasting that it was reheated. Scarbelly's suggestion about au jus would at least keep it from drying out. I worked for a country club and saw many chef's try to pull this off, none did.

If you have a turkey fryer, bring that and deep fry that thing, Apply your favorite beef rub and drop in hot oil until you reach your desired doneness temperature. I know it isn't smoked but really good. I have also done a salt encrusted rib roast in the oven that was delicious, got the recipe off the food network. I also like the idea of buying an ECB for the ocaisian. Although those little buggers need some mods to make them run good, also if you are in a cold climate it will be hard to get it up to temp and take a ton of charcoal or lump. I have also done rib roast on the gas grill with some pretty good results. The thing to remember is it is pretty hard to mess up a prime rib, the main thing is to not overcook. I would cook to 130* max, if people preferr it a little more done drop thier cut in some boiling aujus for a bit.

I'm with Smoke 2 Geaux, Roast it in the oven or grab an ECB and do it there. It just won't taste the same reheated.

Last edited:
Although many of us think it would be a great idea to take a cheap smoker there, smoke the "Prime Rib", and leave it for them, it would depend on who you're leaving it with.

Very few of my friends or relatives would have the slightest interest in having their own smoker. This includes Brother, Brother-in-laws, and parents while they were still around.

They would give me the old "WTFDIWTF" expression---some might even actually say those words.

Bear

Don't deep fry this cut of meat.  It is a total waste of this cut of meat to ruin it with deep frying.

Since you have a two hour hold, you would be OK to smoke you prime rib to 125 F and place in with some towels in a preheat cooler and slam the lid shut.  When you get to there place place it in a 150 F or 160 F oven and let it sit.  Two hours before eating bring the oven to 325 F and watch the temp of the meat.  Pull at 132 F and let that 10 pounder take it to 138 F with carry over.

Cut and serve with aus jus from the pan.  Though I tend to make my own aus jus with red wine, rosemary and thyme.

Anyway it is an idea, you have 4 hours, if you pull an intact muscle roast at 125 F and don't puncture it, then get it in the oven when you get there you will not be harming anything nor violating any of the guidelines.

Just an idea, but reheating such of beautiful cut of meat is just not an option until after the first meal with it!  IMACO

I may be a little late for this, sorry!

I have tackled the early cook thing before.  Here's what I did.

Smoke the raost to the desired temp, at you place.  Cool then place in the fridge.  The next day slice and l pack in food saver bags or ziplocks for the trip.  Save the juice in the bags with the meat.  Put back in fridge and get the cooler and ice for the trip.

The slices will reheat better then the whole roast.  Flavor is there, texture is good.

Other then that pack the smoker on the bumper and get smoking!

Good luck

Thanks everyone, but as I said above, I will just do it in the oven.  We are having Christmas this weekend with my family, and I have been here for a couple of days, so the cook and run idea wouldn't have worked.  I will start a new thread to post some pics of the meat (even though it's not a smoke)

Thanks everyone, but as I said above, I will just do it in the oven.  We are having Christmas this weekend with my family, and I have been here for a couple of days, so the cook and run idea wouldn't have worked.  I will start a new thread to post some pics of the meat (even though it's not a smoke)

Sounds like a wise choice. 
icon14.gif

Then sometime soon you can invite them to your house for some "Smoked Prime Rib", or some other great smoked chow!!!!

Bear

Yeah, we have already discussed that.  I think I will probably do it for my son's birthday this year.  ( I did PP and brisket last year....I think I posted it????  I would be like me to not have....)

The only problem with doing it for his birthday is that I have to wait 6 MORE MONTHS!!!!!!  Guess I just have to find myself other smokes to do in the mean time......I do have all of my venison sausage to make and it is cold smoking season for me.  That will take up some time!

Yeah, we have already discussed that.  I think I will probably do it for my son's birthday this year.  ( I did PP and brisket last year....I think I posted it????  I would be like me to not have....)

The only problem with doing it for his birthday is that I have to wait 6 MORE MONTHS!!!!!!  Guess I just have to find myself other smokes to do in the mean time......I do have all of my venison sausage to make and it is cold smoking season for me.  That will take up some time!
6 months!!!

The older you get, the shorter the distance between 6 minutes & 6 months!

Whatever you're gonna have on that occasion, practice it a few times before then & you'll be the Family "Super-Chef"! 
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

BTW: Was I right when I suggested they probably wouldn't want a smoker for themselves? 
wink.gif

Bear

BTW: Was I right when I suggested they probably wouldn't want a smoker for themselves? 
wink.gif

Bear
Actually, my father has been thinking about buying a new smoker, so it would have been feasible to do something like that.  He will want something different than an ECB, and I wouldn't have had the money to buy him one, or the time to season it before using it.  I think he still has some kind of weber charcoal smoker, probably in the attic.  I have tried to use it before and really did not have good luck with it, so I was not considering it as an option for a piece of meat like this($$$).

wink.gif

Bear
Actually, my father has been thinking about buying a new smoker, so it would have been feasible to do something like that.  He will want something different than an ECB, and I wouldn't have had the money to buy him one, or the time to season it before using it.  I think he still has some kind of weber charcoal smoker, probably in the attic.  I have tried to use it before and really did not have good luck with it, so I was not considering it as an option for a piece of meat like this($$$).
Shame you didn't have more time to get to know his Weber before the dinner. There are some guys on this forum who can make a Weber do anything but talk---maybe even talk!

I don't happen to be one of them.

Bear

Based on all you wrote it seems cooking in the oven is the best idea.  You do want to mess up a cut of meat like that. And well this holiday has enough pressure why add to it, sit back enjoy and smile

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky