Chocolate espresso rubbed beef cheeks and more (Pic Heavy)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jcam222

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Northeast Ohio
After seeing several posts recently about cheeks I did a bit of reading on them. I know they make great tacos but with the rich beef flavor profile and fatty richness I went in a different direction. I decided to pair them up with a nice keto version of smoked gouda grits and a brussel sprout and ramp hash. I have been planning on doing a keto flourless chocolate torte so that made the rotation today too. Just for the hell of it the butcher had some cut short ribs so I popped a few of those in the smoker too along with a chuck for a buddy when he dropped it off.

Ok lets get started. First up trimming the cheeks. Not gonna lie, trimming two 5 lb. bags of cheeks was a pain in the ass that proved to be well worth it later. I really only got 4 nice large cheeks, 4 or 5 nice clean cheeks pieces and then a mish mosh of stuff that I have no idea what it is. I cooked it and it was good LOL. Here are the raw big cheeks trimmed up.
raw cheeks.jpg

Here they are rubbed up along with the pan of smaller cheeks. I also had a pan of trimming and spare parts of unknown identify, cooked them up too. The rub is a rub I found on here for steaks at some point. I thought the earthy richness of a cocoa espresso rub would go great with these and it didn't disappoint. The rub also has salt, pepper, cayenne , cinnamon and some brown sugar. I usually just do SPOG with the beef but this was a winner on the cheeks. These went in the smoker running my go to B&B Texas Oak lump along with a couple nice big pieces of aged oak and a couple pieces of mesquite. Smoker rolled beautiful blue smoke all day once I hit 275F, loaded it up and got tuned into to 250F ish

cheeks rubbed.jpg

While the cheeks and other meats were smoking I moved to some side dishes. First up is a keto smoked gouda grits.

• 18 oz. rice cauliflower
  • 3/4 cup of hemp hearts
  • 6 TBSP butter
  • 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
  • 3/4 cup water
  • 3 TBSP cream cheese
  • 3.4 tsp smoked paprika
  • 6 - 8 oz. smoked gouda
grits ingredients.jpg

Start by melting the butter in a pan and sauteing the cauliflower and hemp hearts until tender. Add the rest of the ingredients with the exception of the gouda. Simmer for 5 - 10 minutes and add the shredded gouda. I used a mix of aged gouda and smoked gouda. Use enough to get a nice thick creamy consistency. The cauliflower and especially the hemp hearts give you a nice grits texture. This pic is just before the gouda was added.

grits cooking.jpg

After the cheese is melted in and texture is dialed in add the paprika to give it a little more of a smokey kick and color. I did these hours ahead of our meal as they will absorb more of the liquid as they cool. They reheat great.

grits finished.jpg

Next side dish is a brussel sprout and ramps hash

• 2 lbs. brussel sprouts
  • 1/2 lbs ramps (can substitute shallots or onions)
  • 2 1/2 TBSP apple cider vinegar
  • 3 TBSP allulose (can use any sugar sub or sugar if not watching carbs)
  • 4 TBSP olive oil
  • 1 cup water
  • 8 TBSP butter
  • S&P to taste
Chop the ramps up and saute in the oil, keep cooking and caramelize them with the vinegar and sweetener. Set them to the side and cook the brussel sprouts in 4 TBSP of the butter. When the edges begin to brown add the remaining 4 TBSP of butter and cup of water. Cook until they are tender and the water is mostly reduced. Add the ramps back in. Don't overcook this, leave a little crunch and keep the nice green color. This pic is before they were ready for the ramps to be added back in.

brussel sprouth hash.jpg

Time to get some meat out of the smoker. I smoked the cheeks for about 3 hours at 250F and then boated them in foil pans with Minors beef broth from my water pan. (I run a full pan of it below the meat while smoking) . They went about an hour and half boated uncovered then i covered them for about another hour. They were finished at a higher temp than I thought. I found them to be probe tender at around 210F. At 210F the fat and thick collagen were rendered perfectly making these just a gooey beefr delight! Below are pics of the finished whole small and large cheeks. I did pulled from the small as the literally fell apart., I did some nice slices from the larger cheeks. The chocolate espresso rub gives a nice dark bark. At the end is a shot of of the few plate ribs I did which were just rubbed with SPOG.
small cheeks .jpg

large cheeks finished.jpg

shredded cheeks.jpg

slices4.jpg

Here is a shot of the short rib pieces. They are so tender the shake like jello lol.
short ribs 2.jpg
o

Wife is getting hungry so time to pull it all together. Plated up a burnt end and shredded on top the cheesy "grits" along with the brussel sprout and ramp hash. surrounded it all with a nice hit of the smokey au jus from the pans. This was just decadently rich , smokey rich meat with the creamy cheese grits was astonishing together. The slightly sweet / sour taste of the brussel sprout hash was a perfect flavor contrast. This is an addition to a cookbook someday for sure lol.

plated3.jpg

plated6.jpg

The meal was pretty filling so dessert had to come later but I had worked hard on a dessert I have been planning for a few weeks. It is a keto flourless chocolate torte with both a vanilla and chocolate creme anglaise. This thing came out off the hook good. I would bet my years salary no one could identify this as a keto sugar free dessert. This is a dessert I'd pay plenty for in a 5 star restaurant and be very happy with it. My wife loved it but its so rich that she could only eat about half the plate. Even I could not eat a lot of it. If you like rich chocolate decadence this is for you. I will post the recipe for the sauces and torte tomorrow.

torte cropped.jpg

Well that's a wrap folks!! This was one of my best meals ever. I am really glad I tried beef cheeks as I will be doing them plenty more often that's for sure. Thanks for looking!!

How can I follow this? Don't know if I can post anything else, ever again, after this...very impressive. Wow, great job! ;)
Your brisket, burnt ends and ABT’s look damn good. Keep on posting!

Reactions: Blues1
What can I say Jeff? This is simply extraordinary!! Another 5-star, magazine quality meal presented beautifully. Of all you've done to date, for some reason this has the most appeal to me. I just love it!! Great job my friend.

Robert

Speechless man is all I can say. That looks amazing. How this isn't up top spinning I don't know! I really need to try to get my hands on some cheeks one of these days. Fine cook my friend!

Really nice work J . Never had beef cheeks , but they sure look " beefy " . Like the sprout hash too .

Reactions: jcam222
Being a neighbor to this great smoker guy I was privileged to trying the beef cheeks. The smoke on these things were great but what put it out of bounds was the au jue

Being a neighbor to this great smoker guy I was privileged to trying the beef cheeks. The smoke on these things were great but what put it out of bounds was the au jue
Hey Brian welcome to the forum. You will find some great people and food here for sure

Really nice work J . Never had beef cheeks , but they sure look " beefy " . Like the sprout hash too .
Chop these truly take beefy to a whole new level. Think about the rich beefiness of short rib and then turn that up a few more notches. They are really tough and take finish temp around 210 but man when you get that fat and collagen rendered it’s memorable.

Reactions: chopsaw
Speechless man is all I can say. That looks amazing. How this isn't up top spinning I don't know! I really need to try to get my hands on some cheeks one of these days. Fine cook my friend!
Thanks! You won’t regret it man, that are silly good. Next time I’ll trim less too, all the pieces and parts in the bag are tasty. Carousel or not this is one of the finest meals I’ve laid out. I rarely brag on my own but if I’d laid out a five star price on this meal including dessert I’d have been very satisfied. Man the cake is RIDICULOUS too lol. Those sauces we’re also French dessert sauces made from scratch.

Great post, love Beef cheeks and they look very good
Tongue next if you love the cheeks, less crud to trim off :emoji_thumbsup:
I’ll have to try to smoking tongue. I’ve had it picked and shredded and liked it.

Reactions: Titch
Wow Jeff that looks phenomenal! Never had beef cheeks and yours look delicious!

I really dig the spiderweb effect on your dessert.

Like!

Reactions: jcam222
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky