Chip smoker or Pellet smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jaxman

Original poster
Mar 25, 2015
Looking for a new smoker. I have an MES 30 which still works great but wish I had something wider. It is set up to use the amazin pellet maze. I rarely smoke large amounts of food. I have been looking at the MES 340G and a pit boss 4 or 5 series. When I smoke something I'm usually always around my smoker so I'm not worried about the set it and forget it attitude with pellet smokers. Also every review about pellet smokers says they have huge temp. swings. I feel like pellet smokers are the new way but i haven't totally given up on chips either....what do i do ???

Reactions: Mengland89
I haven't used my electric smoker since I got my pellet smoker. I haven't experience any huge temperature swings with my treager, most I have seen is around a 10 degree swing.

Reactions: Mengland89
If you aren't worried about the set it and forget it aspect I would also consider something fueled by charcoal with wood chunks for the smoke.

My Traeger pro 780 may have a 2-7 degree swing but it’s short lived (about 5-15 seconds). Never have the issues with holding temps in cold weather like some complain about. If you get a decent smoker that isn’t razor thin you shouldn’t have the issues that are stated above.

Personally I like the MES 40 Generation #2.5 best, but I Believe The 340G is a good Unit, and I'd stick with the AMNPS Maze for the Perfect Smoke!!

Bear

Thanks guys, I forgot to mention I'm in the market for a vertical smoker not the grill style.

Also every review about pellet smokers says they have huge temp. swings.

I just got a Rec Tec RT 700 Bull and love it. There is certainly a temp differential between what it states on the controller and what I get at grate level with my Maverick 732, but the "swing" you mentioned isn't a factor. The temps remain pretty consistent so all you have to do is make an adjustment to the set point to overcome the differential and you're good to go.

Robert

I have a 40" MES and its plenty wide to do full racks of ribs, full spatched birds, and hold 9x13 and larger pans. Use the AMNPS for smoke as well. Also have a SV24 propane smoker. Starting smoking on an old MES analog unit years ago and can tell you now IMO the wider units are well worth the extra money.

On the flip side I have heard great things about the vertical pit boss units but never used one. You can get higher temps in them than you can the MES. You will use a lot more in fuel(pellets) in the pit boss but if that's not important then I don't think you can go wrong either way!

Reactions: jcam222
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky