Chicken quarters and beef ribs same time - temps and times?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

reigninbbq

Original poster
May 30, 2014
Hi,

I will be smoking chicken quarters and beef ribs at same time in my mes 30. A few questions please: What temp should I use? What IT for the chicken and how many hours will that take? How long for ribs - do i need to foil at all? Do i need a drip pan under ribs?

Thank you very much. Im looking forward to it.

I think the issue will be you want the chicken to cook at a way higher temp then you'll want you ribs to cook at. I don't cook beef ribs but from what I've read on here you want those at low temp. The chicken you want to cook at high temp to crisp the skin. If you don't care about crispy skin then you can cook both at same temp. Chicken at 250ish takes about two hours to reach 165

Hi,

I will be smoking chicken quarters and beef ribs at same time in my mes 30. A few questions please: What temp should I use? What IT for the chicken and how many hours will that take? How long for ribs - do i need to foil at all? Do i need a drip pan under ribs?

Thank you very much. Im looking forward to it.
Like Brooksy said Chicken quarters @ 250 should take 2---Maybe 2 1/2 hours to get to 165*.

When I did Beef Ribs in my MES 40 @ 250, I kept them in for a total of 5 hours

Bear

Last edited:
 My last cook I had both Spares and Beef ribs in at the same time. 6 hnrs. nd they came off at the same time .. They come out great , just wish the Beef ribs had more meat on them... Seems they like to trim the heck out of what we get here...
icon_evil.gif
 See how skinny they look.

OH ,well. Have fun and . . .

I should clarify:

Stan's right!!

My Beef Ribs normally take 6 hours @ 225*, like Stan's do.

However since you should do your chicken quarters with at least 250* smoker temp, I used this one (below):

Beef Ribs:
I got a late start, because of a morning meeting, so I decide to go with 250˚ for 5 hours.

11:50AM-----------Preheat MES 40 to 250˚, and fill two rows of AMNPS with Hickory pellets, and light one end.
12:15PM-----------Put Beef Ribs on racks & into Smoker.
12:30PM-----------Put AMNPS on bottom bars to left of chip drawer.
3:15PM------------Put all ribs in foil pan with my foil mixture (see below), cover with double foil & return to smoker.
5:00PM------------Kill MES heat.
5:30PM------------Pull Ribs.

Link to Beef Ribs:

Prime Rib "Dino" Ribs  

Bear

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky