• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

chicken of the woods

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

in. pred

Smoking Fanatic
Joined
Nov 24, 2024
Messages
558
Reaction score
609
scored some shrooms this morning in the woods. love these things battered and fried. just dip them in honey mustard or make a chicken sandwich out of them. go get u some they are abundant and free. lol
IMG_3846.JPG

5# or so of chicken and a puffball bonus also!
me and my son made sandwiches for lunch. egg wash then shake in famous andys cajun and fry. add Lettice, maters, n mayo all you need for a hardy tasty sandwich.
IMG_3847.JPG


so all you vegans go hunt up some "chicken". oh maybe not many of those on here eh. lol
 
I had a nice puffball out back but hit it with the mower when backing out of shed. Didn't see it somehow beforehand
 
Nice! We're seeing some Frost Boletes, hoping for some Hedgehogs soon. I love poking around for wild mushrooms.
 
How do you know what is edible and what's not?! I love mushrooms, but I don't trust myself to pick the ones that aren't poisonous!
Start with some of the very easy ones. For my wife and I it was the Old Man of the Woods, based on the weird appearance and the way it stains/bruises when cut, there's nothing else like it. Get a good beginner book for your area of the country and make sure each mushroom passes each ID test. Then when comfortable with your "gateway shroom" find another to explore. In our case it was a Lactarius Indigo, bruises a beautiful blue, easy ID. The only thing it could possibly be mistaken for is its peppery cousin, which is also edible. Start small and grow from there. Boletes are far safer than gills in most areas of the US for consumption. Many guides wisely say to avoid gills entirely, which is stellar advice.
 
I learned a long time ago that if you watch the critters in the forest and see what they eat then it is probably safe for us to eat. We have some mushrooms that grow around the house that are white with no stem showing, kind of like what you have in the picture. They never get that big as they start to turn rotten but no critters ever eat them. I'm not sure what kind of mushroom grows at 9100 feet but these ones dol.
 
I learned a long time ago that if you watch the critters in the forest and see what they eat then it is probably safe for us to eat. We have some mushrooms that grow around the house that are white with no stem showing, kind of like what you have in the picture. They never get that big as they start to turn rotten but no critters ever eat them. I'm not sure what kind of mushroom grows at 9100 feet but these ones dol.
Looks like a common puffball to me. Beautiful white flesh, tasty, but very quickly starts to decompose if not harvested soon enough. Don't take my word for it by any means, but find one of interest, look into it, next thing you know, you're harvesting one!
 
Morels are another easy to identify species. Hard to go wrong with that one. Yes, there is a 'false morel' out there, but they're really not all that similar-lots of online references show the obvious differences.

I joined a mushroom club, errrr mycological association, here in North Idaho to try and learn my way around foraging for edibles. I've only scratched the surface of a whole LOT of information, so thus far there are still only three species I'd be comfortable picking and eating...morels, corals, and chanterelles. But apparently there are over 30 edible species in the area, I just don't know enough yet to do a positive ID.

I did learn that almost all wild mushrooms need to be cooked, thoroughly. Stick to button mushrooms from the supermarket if you want them raw on your salad. I also learned that not all mushrooms that wildlife eat are safe for humans...differences in liver enzymes between species can make a big difference in what is toxic and what isn't.

Also, eat only a small portion of any new mushroom the first time you try it. Some are notorious for being fine for most folks, but causing a fair bit of gastrointestinal distress in others, even though they aren't actually toxic.
 
Chanterelles, are the only shrooms I will pick, I don't trust myself with any others. I wish I was older when my Gramp's was alive, he picked all sorts of shrooms.
 
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Back
Top
Clicky