Chicken Bog...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Gonna Smoke

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 19, 2018
South Carolina
Since Chris gmc2003 gmc2003 asked about it in another thread, it got me to thinking (yeah I know, that can be dangerous). The weather was gloomy, but not terribly cold so why not make a pot, the wife and daughter love it.

So here we go, the lineup...
  • 5 chicken leg quarters from those humongous ones that were on sale last week at Food Lion
  • 2 quarts unsalted chicken broth...I use Walmart brand when I can find it
  • 2 small/medium onions diced
  • 3 10.5 oz cans of cream of chicken soup...Walmart brand
  • 2 10.5 cans of cream of mushroom soup...Walmart again
  • 2½ cups white rice
  • 1 lb. cracked black pepper sausage
  • 1 pack of fresh venison sausage...not sure but it was probably 1½ lbs.
  • Heaping TBSP of cracked black pepper
So when I smoked the lamb breast the other day, I put the chicken and the venison sausage on the smoker...(yeah sometimes I plan ahead). The sausage was real mild and could use a little flavor. I usually boil the chicken, but figured a smoked flavor would be a good change. It was seasoned with SPOG. I didn't worry about getting too done, just done enough to pull off the bone...probably 160℉ or so...
20230130_182638[1].jpg

20230130_154752[1].jpg

Once cooled, I pulled all the meat from the bones and cut all the sausage in ¼" rounds.

Next day I sautéed the onion and sausage in a couple of TBSP of EVOO. Once browned, I stirred in the chicken meat and brought it all up to a simmer...
20230131_123752[1].jpg

20230131_124239[1].jpg

Add in all the soup and stir to combine...
20230131_125530[1].jpg

Bring to a simmer over med/low heat and stir in the chicken broth and pepper...
20230131_125932[1].jpg

Bring back to a simmer and stir in the rice. Reduce heat to low and stir FREQUENTLY to prevent sticking and burning on the bottom. Cook for covered 45 minutes or longer until it becomes real thick and gooey...
20230131_135832[1].jpg

While she was at the fine china store, my wife also picked up some bowls :emoji_laughing: Time to eat...
20230131_181222[1].jpg

Serve with your favorite hot sauce.

The longer this sits, the thicker it will get. The soup has plenty of salt so I did not add any. Actually could've used low sodium soup. The smokiness of the chicken and sausage really came through and was a welcome change to just boiling the chicken. When I do boil it, I discard the water and start over either with fresh water and broth or just the broth. It can be cooled and defatted, also.

The cracked pepper sausage was something I found in the freezer and honestly have no idea where it came from...
20230131_142723[1].jpg

This makes a lot and everyone took home a container or two.

There you go Chris, my chicken bog. It's a good, hearty, stick to your ribs dish that's great on these cold, gloomy winter days...even though it was 73℉ here today...:emoji_wink:

Last edited:
Looks absolutely delicious, Charles. May have to add it to the ever expanding list of things I want to try.

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
Looks good to me, I'm making a sausage soup tonight as well, swede soup. Wife can't/won't handle the rice se we use rutabaga and turnip.

I could certainly eats a few of those elegant bowls of yours.

Looks hearty and darn tasty!!
Thanks Jeff. Growing up, dad would make chicken and rice or perlo as it was called. It was a lot drier dish than this is and over the years, it changed into what I cook now. I couldn't begin to tell you how many times I've eaten this or cooked it myself...
Looks absolutely delicious, Charles. May have to add it to the ever expanding list of things I want to try.
It is an inexpensive dish to make that will feed a lot of people and really is good. Thank you for your compliments...
Looks good to me, I'm making a sausage soup tonight as well, swede soup. Wife can't/won't handle the rice se we use rutabaga and turnip.

I could certainly eats a few of those elegant bowls of yours.
Sausage soup sounds great!

Thats a soul warming bowl there. With the Ice-mageddon that rolled through the Memphis area the last couple of days soup has been the meal of choice. Lesa made a chicken corn chowder that we ate on for two days and freezing the rest for later down the road.
Jim

Looks delicious Charles!!!. I'd have to make a few substitutions due to availability of some ingredients but this is going to be tried real soon. Thanks for sharing.

Point for sure
Chris

gmc2003 gmc2003 asked about it in another thread, it got me to thinking (yeah I know, that can be dangerous).
I do need some clarification. Which statement is dangerous? Me asking a question or your thinking? LOL

Charles that looks absolutely superb!! With all the nasty weather we've had this week, I could eat enough of that bog to float a battleship. Excellent job my friend.

Robert

That looks delicious Charles! Real stick to your ribs meal! Wind is cranked up, snows blowing, temp is dropping, wind chill warning... I'll take extra!

Ryan

Very nice Charles, and you are right smoking the chicken first
really adds to the soup/ stews, Or bog in your case :emoji_sunglasses: :emoji_thumbsup:
I could go for a bowl or two of that for sure

David
Thank you, David!!
Nice Charles . I know that hits the spot .
Rich, it will definitely scratch a spot that itches...:emoji_wink: Thank you, my friend...
Looks like some great comfort food that'll warm up some cold bones, nice work! RAY
Thanks, Ray. It really warms you up, especially my old, cold bones...
Thats a soul warming bowl there. With the Ice-mageddon that rolled through the Memphis area the last couple of days soup has been the meal of choice. Lesa made a chicken corn chowder that we ate on for two days and freezing the rest for later down the road.
Jim
I really love chicken corn chowder, now YOU'VE got me thinking...(once again, that's dangerous🤣). Thank you, Jim...
Charles that looks absolutely superb!! With all the nasty weather we've had this week, I could eat enough of that bog to float a battleship. Excellent job my friend.

Robert
Robert, we got mostly rain from the storm that is passing through. Looks like you and many folks west of here got it much worse. You'd be welcome to as many bowls as you'd like, my friend...
That looks delicious Charles! Real stick to your ribs meal! Wind is cranked up, snows blowing, temp is dropping, wind chill warning... I'll take extra!

Ryan
It is very much a stick-to-your-ribs meal, Ryan. Come on over any time and warm your bones with a bowl or three...

Heck ya Charles! That's a nice rib sticking meal. We're going to see temps down to -20F this next couple days. And something like this would be welcome! Or, maybe chili? Either way. This is bookmarked.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky