cherry score

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

big game cook

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Aug 22, 2008
ILLINOIS
man i must have 500lbs of fresh cut cherry. it was 14" or better in diam and i have several logs and stumps.

a guy on craigs list had listed firewood for free. i contacted him and was first. i went to got some maple from a 65' ish soft maple. it was two truckloads of green good wood. then as i was loading it he came out and told me that the other 80% of the tree standing was coming down and i could have it all. a tree service was cutting it. its much cheaper if the wood doesnt have to be hauled off. he asked if i wanted it. i said heck ya. so i went yesterday and got another two truckloads.

today they brought it all down to the stump. i had a 22' trailer. i had a full load with 4 huge trunk pieces and two big limb chunks. took it home and went back to get the last of the 15 20" diam chunks. the tree guys said we got some cherry yellow locust and small maple ascross the road you can have it too.  they said it was little stuff. ya right. 10 truclkoads. i had way to much on the trailer but i got it home real slowly. and the cherry was a big one. the three logs to the left on the huge maple trunk are cherry as well as all that pile by the pool.

heres the load. and theres 4 truckloads behind boat you cant see. they boomed the big ones right on the trailer for me and did all the cutting. cant beat that.

did these last week this was the first 2 truckloads.

my homeade splitter i built can tackle about anything. has the tongs. if craned up 4' diam logs with it. has a 2" ram for lifting and a 4" for splitting. gonna be a long week. and its 102 to 98 all week. yah!!!!!!!!

My name is Walt and I have a problem. I collect smoking wood. I scan logs people leave by the side of the road to identify oak, maple, hickory. I've also gotten crab apple and cherry that way. I've trimmed mulberry, box elder, black walnut and cherry from my yard. I too have studied the "free firewood" ads on Craigslist.

I have way more smoking wood than I can ever use.

My collection pales in comparison to yours!  :bow down:

What a score! I have checked Craigs list but out here there is not much hard wood. I did acquire a lot of cottonwood and find that that can be used for smoking. I will try it and let you all know how it works. Steve

i split up 1 of the trunk pieces of cherry thats in the very first pic on the top above the blue gas can against pool. chopped it into 1 1/2" strips and then cut them in 1/2. there about as wide as a palm of your hand. that one trunk piece filled 2 milk crates heaping full.
sausage.gif

ill have enough to last a few years easy.

That is one great score - might be a way to make some $ too 
th_dunno-1%5B1%5D.gif

shouldnt be a problem using it up. only the red marked wood is cherry. the rest is firewood which i burn in the shop and house as well. i go through a lot of wood. its my primary heat.

Nice!  I have two cherry trees, in my back yard, as well as a pear tree, an apple and two peach trees.  My question to the experienced smokers, around here is: how long do I have to dry it out before I can use it in my smoker, or my grill, and how long would, or should I soak it, before putting it in with the charcoal?   I used some, today, but I only gave it about and hour to soak, and it burned up pretty quick, so I didn't get a lot of smoke out of it, and a lot of flame.  I had to rescue my ribs from the flames, and got to them just in time; they're delicious, but somehow, if I'd done it right, I feel they could have been better. 
th_Slab_of_meat.gif
  Thanks, for any, and all responses. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky