Cheese Smoking Questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
So, I'm planning on smoking with apple pellets for 4.5 - 5 hours.

What is your favorite smoke to use, and how long do you typically smoke for?

If Todd still has it, I like Wine Barrel or Bourbon Barrel Pellets or Dust for Cheese!!!

Bear

If you mean me, My absolute favorite is Hickory. But I been using Alder for my Salmon lately and like it very well.
The hickory always gives a bold taste. The Alder has been giving me a slightly sweeter taste. And I'm actually liking it.
My smoking times vary a lot. 1-2 hours for smokey taste, like my skin on thighs the other night. then cooked like normal.
To long smokes of 6-10 hours.

My current smoker is a converted Brinkman Smoke N Grill, with a Bradley smoke generator grafted on. Kinda small, kinda crude, no controls. I call it R2D2

Start with 1 hour... take some out of the smoker... smoke for 1 more hour... take some out of the smoker.. repeat.. repeat....
Some cheeses take on smoke faster than others... What's fine for one kind of cheese will make another inedible... Take note on everything...

"take some out of the smoker... smoke for 1 more hour... take some out of the smoker.. "

Hey! Where'd my cheese go! :(

Just ran 12.5 pounds of sharp cheddar, 7.5 pounds of pepperjack and 5 pounds of butter today. Ambient temp was about 35, smoker temp was 40 to 45 with just the mailbox mod no heat in the smoker. I smoked with apple pellets for 4 hours, i had a good steady smoke coming out the stack the whole time.

From my experience smoking the cheddar doesn't look much different after 4 hours smoking, the butter will have a slight smokey look and the white pepper jack will have a more noticeable smokey look to it. After a couple weeks in the fridge the cheddar will start to have a good smokey look and the pepper jack will definitely be smokey, the butters color doesn't change much.

My advice would be to smoke your cheese for 4 ish hours with a good stead smoke.

Someone on here does a lot of smoked cheese, including using wax to seal. I remember the post, but can't remember the poster.... Anyone know who? It is finally cold enough here it Texas for me to smoke cheese as well and wanted to use that post as a guide....

Smoke ON!

- Jason

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky