Cheese in a charcuterie chamber?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

LoydB

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
May 31, 2022
Is anyone using the same chamber for both drying charcuterie and cheese? I'm wondering if cross contamination is an issue, the chamber is pretty well saturated with M-600 mold spores.

Is 75-80% too low?

Thanks all!

Practicing thread necromancy to give a one-year update.

1. You can use your charcuterie chamber for anything that is vac-sealed or aged in a container (camembert for instance). It ages perfectly.
2. If you want to do a natural rind (or a cloth-banded one) that requires 85%-90% humidity, you can't.
3. You can try to do a natural rind in a container, but it won't be as good as one done just sitting out on a shelf with a ton of air circulation.

I've basically turned my charcuterie cave into a cheese cave. I've got a ton of charcuterie already vac sealed, and we eat way more cheese than charcuterie. My plan is to get yet another freezer for charcuterie at some point.

I've got a small wine fridge where I store all of the vac-sealed wheels that have been cut open - this one only contains untouched wheels.

1696518340351.png

2. If you want to do a natural rind (or a cloth-banded one) that requires 85%-90% humidity, you can't.
My big maturing chamber that I build has the airflow return at the bottom of the chamber. The temps run about 2*F colder than higher up in the chamber...about 52-54*F, and the humidity is higher there as well, running 83-87%. Might be close enough for aging the hard cheeses I want to make. What do you think?

My big maturing chamber that I build has the airflow return at the bottom of the chamber. The temps run about 2*F colder than higher up in the chamber...about 52-54*F, and the humidity is higher there as well, running 83-87%. Might be close enough for aging the hard cheeses I want to make. What do you think?

If you can keep it 85+ regularly you should be good. If the cheese starts cracking, then it’s too dry and should be vac sealed instead.

Reactions: indaswamp
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky