Cheap offset mod idea...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DustyJoe84

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Dec 15, 2018
Kansas City
As I struggle to get my Chargriller to maintain temperature on this cold evening, an idea came to mind and I was wondering if anyone had tried it or if it would even work.

I know lots of people use welding blankets to cover their smokers to help it hold temperature. Would it be possible to cut pieces of welding blanket to cover the firebox and cook chamber and install snap fasteners to attach the blanket to the cooker rather than just laying the blanket over it? In addition I even thought perhaps you could cut a separate piece to cover the doors alone so that you can freely open and close your doors as needed without the blanket interfering in any way.

Thoughts?

We went through this last night in our CG in wind and rain and temps in the 30°'s, so I can't help, but I'll sure be watching to hear what folks have to say! :)

Reactions: DustyJoe84
What you suggest is viable. Whether you blanket the entire unit or do it piece meal is pretty much up to you. I would just be careful of frays from cutting.

Also, I'd not want to get the blankets wet while on the smoker...your cooker would rust in a hurry with the blankets holding water in contact with the metal...

Aren't welding blankets made with fiberglass. It they are it may not be a good idea to cut it and expose the innards.

Chris

Was it the temps or the wind?
A fire blanket over the cooking area would probably help retain some heat.
I have smoked quit a bit around zero degrees and haven't really had trouble maintaining temps. I just burn more wood.
Wind gives me more struggle than cold.

I wouldn't go to crazy modding something with snaps.

It's viable. I would try to piece it together from smaller blankets rather than cut up a larger blanket though. Building a shack/shanty for your smoker might be cheaper and easier though.

I have a welding blanket on my smoker that I have held in place with SS screws and cups.

It works well and reduces the amount of fuel you need.

I didn't attach it permanently to the firebox as sometimes a quick cool is needed and taking the blanket off the firebox works pretty well. I was also worried about water getting on the blanket but I keep my smoker covered when not in use so that shouldn't be an issue.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky