Chargriller air flow

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

greg2112

Original poster
Nov 25, 2019
Ok, first let me give some background. I've had the char griller pro for about 15 years and in the resent years i purchased a side firebox. I did remove the the vents that were attached to to meat chamber before attaching the firebox, so i have enough opening for air. I am having the same problem that i see some others have when smoking with the firebox.
The problem i have is too much heat stays in the firebox. The smoke flows smoothly out of the exhaust. I turned the charcoal grate upside down in the meat chamber and set it on bricks so that it just covers the top of the opening between the box and meat chamber. The bricks are open enough for air flow. The temp stays within ten degrees on each side.
I put an extension on the exhaust but am about ready to rip it off. After all i would think a manufacturer would make it to work right. I sealed it up pretty good. Just a small leak in several spots but not bad at all. I have tried every thing i can think of to get more heat into to chamber. I made a chicken wire coal box and raised it higher in the firebox. I tried coals at the meat chamber end and the far end and didnt make much difference. It doesnt matter if im burning wood charcoal or a mix. More charcoal kind of helps. Im guessing that i need more air flow even if it seems to exit good. I tried the miniom method today and it got to 225, But barely and it took a long time. It seems like the inlet vent needs to be wide open and the ash tray pulled out 3/4 inch. I have the exhaust wide open. Also i layed foil covered insulation over the meat chamber and firebox and it definately helps. Everything seems right except the firebox is hot as crap and the cooking chamber struggles. I was getting it ready for the thanksgiving turkey im smoking on wed. Yeah, one day early. Cut it and refridge it. Put it in oven bags and heat it in hot water. Exactly like it would be if it came right off the grill minus the crispy skin (the only down fall) It sucks because when i do a beer can chicken i put the char in the meat chamber. Usually circle it around the chicken and it heats like a v8 in a volkswagen.
I know theres an answer .Just havent found it yet. I dont want to use a fan at the inlet. Yea, ive dont that once and it burned up a ton of coal and the turkey finished coocking in the oven and lunch was an hour and a half late. I failed right in front of everyone that year. If anyone has figured this mistery out i would love to hear the solution. Thanks

Holes drilled in the upper portion of the firebox on the air inlet side at roughly a 3rd of the size of your lower inlets at the bottom will allow air to escape the firebox and head into the cc.

The only picture I have to show this is my block pit. Notice the air inlets. I have two bricks stuffed into the upper air inlet as I have found that to be the right heat/fresh air ratio to keep mine running right.

There are other folks daveomak daveomak specifically that have better pictorial examples of what I'm talking about.

20190817_094830.jpg

Reactions: daveomak
Thanks, that sounds like a real solution. It makes sense. Wednesday i did smoke a turkey. I completely changed my plans and put charcoal and wood on the inside of cc right by the firebox end. Used the firebox for an inlet vent. Place a temporary heat guide over it so the heat would go down somewhat first. The temps were about 35 degrees apart from one end to the other, and it was windy as crap out. Mid 40's. It heated well with very little char/wood. Turned out good enough that people took almost all the extra home. I made them leave me some.
I have a new plan for the winter. I'm going to expierment with an exhaust inlet for the exhaust at grate level as wide as the grill is. 19" w x 3" h. Something like that. Then adapt it to the existing chimney. It seems like the diameter is too small as it is now. And i'll definately work on the fb inlet for better air flow.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky