Charcoal Grill to Smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JBCWCHS06

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jul 30, 2022
Not really sure but was given a chargrill charcoal grill as a birthday gift and was wondering if there was anyway I could smoke on it without buying a box to make it an offset. I'd like to eventually buy the box but don't have the extra 90-100 dollars right now but would love to try a charcoal smoke for the first time this weekend.

Attachments

• IMG_20220830_201351036.jpg
    IMG_20220830_201351036.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20220830_201407102_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220830_201407102_HDR.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 15
Build your fire on the right side and put your food on the left side under the chimney; if you don't have a pretty good gap between the two, put a few bricks on the charcoal grate in between the two.
If it were me, I'd probably put a bed of small wood splits or medium sized chunks down on the charcoal grate on the right side first, then dump a chimney of burning charcoal on top of it. If you want more smoke flavor, I'd replenish the wood when the smoke stops coming out of the chimney; on top of the charcoal should be fine once it's up to temp.

Reactions: MJB05615
Tried this finally this weekend and didn't get the hang of it. I got temp up to around 300 but couldn't get it to drop any more then that. It also took about 20-30 minutes to get rid of the white smoke using store bought wood chunks and as soon as I would through another wood chunk on the fire it would start the white smoke again finally gave up on it after a couple of hours and through everything on my pellet smoker. But was trying chuck roast burnt ends so might try like a pork butt next time something a little easier and more forgiving

Build your fire on the right side and put your food on the left side under the chimney; if you don't have a pretty good gap between the two, put a few bricks on the charcoal grate in between the two.
If it were me, I'd probably put a bed of small wood splits or medium sized chunks down on the charcoal grate on the right side first, then dump a chimney of burning charcoal on top of it. If you want more smoke flavor, I'd replenish the wood when the smoke stops coming out of the chimney; on top of the charcoal should be fine once it's up to temp.

Exactly what I would do.

- Jason

I just happen to have one of these laying around my barn. If you were close enough to get it, I could probably be talked out of it easily enough. It's rusty, but still pretty solid.

1662430899462.png

At one time, I had it rigged up on an old stainless steel charcoal grill I turned into a smoker. I was going to make a set of legs for it and use it as a small grill, but I doubt I will end up doing it.

I just happen to have one of these laying around my barn. If you were close enough to get it, I could probably be talked out of it easily enough. It's rusty, but still pretty solid.

View attachment 643002

At one time, I had it rigged up on an old stainless steel charcoal grill I turned into a smoker. I was going to make a set of legs for it and use it as a small grill, but I doubt I will end up doing it.
I'm about an hour away I was really tempted to get one of those to add to the grill I just got but didn't have the money for one. If I'm ever around Richmond and you still have it I'll definitely try to get in touch.

I'm about an hour away I was really tempted to get one of those to add to the grill I just got but didn't have the money for one. If I'm ever around Richmond and you still have it I'll definitely try to get in touch.
I doubt it's going anywhere anytime soon, so give me a holler if you happen down this way.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky