Char-griller grillin' pro model 3001 gas

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hello all. I just got the 3001 and love it. I would like to get the side firebox but do not want to loose the shelf and mobility of the unit. I am thinking of trying to adapt the two knockout pieces (gas grill and SFB) with flanges. The idea would be something I could attach a metal dryer vent to, leaving the SFB on the ground and routing the smoke to the griller. I am new to smoking though, any ideas or reasons this might not work well? Thanks!

Hello all. I just got the 3001 and love it. I would like to get the side firebox but do not want to loose the shelf and mobility of the unit. I am thinking of trying to adapt the two knockout pieces (gas grill and SFB) with flanges. The idea would be something I could attach a metal dryer vent to, leaving the SFB on the ground and routing the smoke to the griller. I am new to smoking though, any ideas or reasons this might not work well? Thanks!

Don't really have any advice for you, except it might be easier to see if you can add a shelf to the top of the SFB (I've seen some set up like that).

How mobile is the unit?  The SFB does have a handle at the end, and while there may be some flex to the metal (on the grill part -- was only able to check out the charcoal only version and the duo/trio), the handle is strong enough to lift the entire side.

In any case, I would appreciate your input to this post.....

I have the same grill and only use it for grilling.  I wasn't aware that the side fire box was able to be mounted on this grill.  I am curious to know how it works out.  How easy is it to control/ maintain temps?

I have the CharGriller pro with the sfb. I have had it for 6 or 7 years now, and use it quit often. The wood handles have held up great, as has rest of the unit. If you are concerned about the loss of smoke and heat, don't be. It WILL take you a bit of practice building a fire and controlling the temp using actual fire, but after 2 or 3 times you will be an old pro at it. Just remember not to build too big a fire, and remember the "low and slow" method for smoking.

I usually put about 20 charcoal brickets in the fire box, and let it get ashy. (Easier to get the fire going) Then I use oak for the heat and either hickory or apple, or both, for the smoke flavoring. All of the chip bags say to soak your chips, but I don't. I try to lay them on a cold spot of the fire. Just add small amounts of wood at a time to prevent too high of a temp.

Good luck and enjoy your new toy. You will absolutly love it. (And so will everyone who eats the food that you cook!!)

I just used some heavy duty wide (18 inch I think) aluminum foil to cover the holes. I mainly used it to keep the bottom clean when grilling but discovered that it works great to keep the heat and smoke in as well. It fits pretty nicely across the bottom of the grill. I'm building a firebox basket next week and have already taken the bottom rack of the firebox out and covered it with the same foil. I took out the top bolt holding the firebox to the grill and put a longer one in. The firebox rack with the foil wrapped around it was then slid under the burners and up to the top of the opening to the firebox and over the longer bolt to hold it in place. Now I have a baffle that directs the smoke and heat from the firebox down to and across the bottom of the grill. Hopefully this will keep the heat in the entire grill from left to right more uniform and also keep the smoke in longer. I also wrapped foil around the right chimney and am going to get a 3 inch high temp flexible ducting tomorrow and attach it to the left chimney and then route it down to the right side an inch or two above the upper grates as suggested in other mods. I'm hoping that the smoke will travel from the firebox under the foil-wrapped rack and to the left side of the grill and then circulate to the right side and up the ducting and out the chimney. I may have to punch a few holes in the rack foil to allow heat to come up on the right side. I haven't tested this yet, maybe tomorrow so it will be interesting to see if it works.

I'm going to BBQ some Harris Ranch Rib Eyes (best in the West) and some lemon pepper marinated apple plank Ahi tuna filets on Sunday but won't have the basket made yet. I'm still going to fire up the fire box and see how it does. If it works as good as I'm hoping, I will make a more permanent steel mod from the firebox to the grill opening and also put some fiberglass rope around the lids and as suggested earlier, put bolts in all the holes that seem to have no purpose. LOL. The weather is almost spring like here now so its about time to start BBQing again!

sausage.gif

I also have a 3001, but without the side box. I like the grill alot.. Question: have you had any balance problems with the side box full of wood? Lots of over hang. I think a full gas cyclinder would counter balance it though.. Please keep us informed, Thanks, CraigJS

I also have the Grillin Pro.  Bent some 1/16 steel to cover the whole bottom (snaps in below tuning rails I added).  Also added tuning plates and baffle.  I remove the burners and deflectors when smoking and cover those holes with 1/16" steel on the inside, magnet on the outside.  Not 100% seal, but pretty good.  For the chimney, I cut the two tabs that hold the cap on, right at the base and bent them out a little.  This creates tension which allows me to slide them up and down.  RTV on all of the joints/seams.  Seal with angle iron on both sides and front using silicone tape and just stuck silicone tape onto back to seal it when closed.

Working well after 1 smoke.  We'll see how it all holds up in the long run.

Some pics of the grill in this thread from my first run this weekend: http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/120369/first-run-on-the-new-smoker

Hi I have the same grill and love it. Where did you find the extra side fire box? I've looked everywhere online.

thank you for the pictures, I looked for a long time to find any, thank you again!

is there a "rotisserie  kit" for this unit?? 

Ray Dunlap

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky