Char griller gravity question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Nick87

Original poster
Dec 2, 2020
Question for you guys with a char grilled gravity fed grill. Are you able to get a good flame sear using this grill? I keep going back and forth between masterbuilt and char griller I just can't make up my mind. Thanks guys!

Yes I had mine 3 years. if u can afford a 1050 I would look into it depends how much room you need my 560 been more than enough room for me

Attachments

• grill.jpg
    grill.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 23
Reactions: Nick87
Question for you guys with a char grilled gravity fed grill. Are you able to get a good flame sear using this grill? I keep going back and forth between masterbuilt and char griller I just can't make up my mind. Thanks guys!
Yes, you can slow smoke from 200*-300* degrees and you can raise the temp up to 700* to grill and sear. I actually have a separate charcoal grill for grilling and searing, so I don’t have to wait. Here’s a great thread with great info about the CG 980… https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/new-chargriller-gravity-fed-grill.307088/

I haven’t had one issue yet with my CG 980.

Image.jpeg

It Slow Smokes great, Set it and Forget it as good as any pellet grill, with the added bonus of true Hardwood and Charcoal smoke. Oh and no grease fires, like the other popular Gravity Fed unit is known to have from time to time. .02. lol.. Honestly, both the CharGriller 980 and the Masterbuilt are good units, when operated correctly. Good luck with your decision.

Char-Griller 980 GF… Pellet Pro Austin XL and a few more mods... In SoCal and Always... Semper Fi

You will get a great sear on either the Masterbuilt or Chargriller units. You aren't going to get a "flame-kissed" sear as both are indirect heat since they're offset, but trust me they get plenty hot enough to give a good sear.

EDIT: here are some steaks I seared on my Masterbuilt. I don't remember the exact temp but it wasn't above 700, so you should be able to get this on the Char Griller too.

IMG_0097.jpeg

Last edited:
You will get a great sear on either the Masterbuilt or Chargriller units. You aren't going to get a "flame-kissed" sear as both are indirect heat since they're offset, but trust me they get plenty hot enough to give a good sear.

EDIT: here are some steaks I seared on my Masterbuilt. I don't remember the exact temp but it wasn't above 700, so you should be able to get this on the Char Griller too.

View attachment 529551
That'll do just fine, decided I'm going with the masterbuilt.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky