Char-griller Duo with SFB

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

newnavysmoker

Original poster
Dec 30, 2013
Hampton Roads, Virginia

Hey all. I have been doing a lot of searching on this site. Lots of great info on mods. I have a CG duo and the wife just got me the SFB for Xmas. I have lowered the stack and have two thermometers I'm placing in the cook chamber tomorrow. My question is about a deflector ate from the SFB to the cook chamber. A lot of you I saw use the charcoal tray flipped upside down. But then there is No room for a drip pan. does anyone have suggestions? I still want to be able to use it for regular charcoal grilling should I be feeling froggy. at Lowes i was looking at the sheet metal there and asking them to cut me a sheet. Just curious what otheres used and on a budget. I am still adding a rope seal around the cook chamber. Ill post pics as I finish up the mm ods this week.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

The upside down grate doesn't work unless you drill holes in it. I got SFB for Xmas also
but I ordered from Horizon the 16" convection plate. But until that comes I took two desposible cookie sheets ( $6) bent one 45 degrees and placed on bottom of the grill so that it covers the opening in FB then I poked
holes in the other one and put it next to it
A loaf pan full of water on top and replaced the grates.. also glued gasket to left and right
Of the lid . Made baby backs on it using 2-2-1
Method OMG
PS I like were you put your chimney extension on the othe side of the grill to make
It a reverse flow you stole my idea lol
Good job

Yes it is I made a cardboard template to make
Sure the 16 inch would fit. And it should like a glove . I called them an they're said two weeks we will see

I am going to ace hardware they sell a package of firebrick 6 for 25$
Reg brick wrapped in foil is too thick and they
Will crack after awhile

I also just got the SFB for my Duo this past Christmas.  I like your mods.  What did you use to hold the rope gasket with?  I've seen that others have simply glued it to the side of the cooking chamber, but I like your idea better.  Also, what size vent tube did you use?  I'm ready to get my mods done so I can fire the bad boy up and do some ribs and pork butts!!!

Well I just got my 16 inch convection plate from horizon even though I measured and even made a cardboard mock up.. It's a little tight!! I had to take out the screws that hold the top rack in but it fits on a slight angle . I have a fire birch holding it up to the sfb. Can't wait to test it out this weekend. Will post pic
When I break it in.. My duo is compete!!!

So here is my convection plate update. So a 22 1/2 inch plate doesn't really fit in the duo's
22 inch belly. So I had my friend trim it down to 21 inches .
Pretty sweet! Now I'm not sure if I'm going to add fire bricks to raise it over the opening of the SFB or just bolt on on flap to cover it.
What do you think?

I've flipped the charcoal tray over and hung it so it was just above the SFB opening and it works great.  I just drilled two holes on each end to hook the hangers into.  I can maintain a temp on each end of the CC with a 5 - 10* difference.

I've flipped the charcoal tray over and hung it so it was just above the SFB opening and it works great.  I just drilled two holes on each end to hook the hangers into.  I can maintain a temp on each end of the CC with a 5 - 10* difference.
Hi Did you have to drill any holes in the charcoal tray?

I only drilled two holes on each end so I could hook the hangers when it was flipped over.  I didn't want to drill holes all over the charcoal tray because I still want to use it to actually collect ash when I grill.  I can take a picture if you want.

Hi First I'm going to try to cover the grate that the charcaol sits on with foil and make some holes thur the foil..If that does not work I will drill some holes in the charcaol tray.

Thanks Dan

Hi I think I tried it that way one time, kept the temps down. They were pretty even, side to side, but the temps were on the low side.

Thanks Dan

Last edited:
Are you using a charcoal basket in your firebox? I'm using a grilling wok which let's me stack more lump/charcoal to keep my temps between 220-240*in 20*weather

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky