Char-Griller/Akorn Temperature Woes

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hey there, don't be discouraged- here's my feedback, I just recently shot a video - I've been working on bringing to temp and stabilizing - I think i've got it 

Here's my video if you are interested, please like and share !

Thanks for sharing your experience. I actually have had great success with the PartyQ temp controller, and I wouldn't consider doing a cook on my Akorn without it. After I get everything lit and have all of the vents open for a few minutes, I turn on the PartyQ and set it to about 170-175 then let it reach that target temp. Then, I go up in 10-15 degree increments until I reach 225. Always remember to turn off the PartyQ before opening the lid.

Happy cooking!

These grills take getting use to. I know you need way less charcoal than you are using. Start with 1/2 to 3/4 of a funnel and get the fire going and shut the lid. Adjust your air with the bottom and keep the top wide open. I usually keep the bottom almost closed and it will burn for hours and not keep creeping. Mine will burn with the bottom shut and not go out and maintain 300 degrees.

You will love tis grill once you get the hang of it. Always start off low unless you are cooking steaks because if you get it to hot it will take forever to cool it off.

Good Luck

I guess I'm just home school. I have an Acorn jr. and I always start it with a few shreds of a paper grocery bag (no ink), and some abundant sticks and twigs around the yard. I pile them in the bottom pan then open the top and bottom vents fully. The draft fuels the fire which lights the lump charcoal slowly. If I leave the vents fully open it gets up to 400 in about 40 minutes. If I want a slow cook I close the dampers as required once it gets to about 175 and it's easy to keep it low and slow.

I was recently thinking about a full sized Acorn simply because of the temperature control possibilities however I now see they have units for the Jr as well. The Jr. is so economical on charcoal that with temperature control it would be perfect. Can someone recommend a good system for the Jr?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky