Change in plan but getting ready to build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

luter

Original poster
Aug 14, 2009
Ok, I was going to do a 250 build but got these two tanks for nothing. One is a 150 and the other is a 116 gallon. I know it is probably overkill but I am now thinking about 2 reverse flows on the same trailer.

I am not sure if the 60 gallon air tank will hold up to the heat to use it as a fire box. If anyone has any suggestions on that I am open. If it can be used then I could save even more money on having to buy more metal to build a firebox. As of right now the plan is to use one large firebox and have dampners in between the box and the smoker to be able to shut off or cut down on the heat sent to one side or the other.

Should I scap the twin smoker idea, I am not sure that one firebox could support two tanks. any feedback on this build is much appreciated. thanks guys

Last edited:
I'm sure there is a way to make it work (all things are possible to those who believe). But I'm wondering if the trailer can handle the load! I can't really tell from the pics what guage metal it is, But it's gonna have a heavy load after everything is finished JMOP. Good Luck with it though, looking forward to your build!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

I would have to think it would be really tough to keep the air vents just right on the fire box with one large fire.

It maybe could work if there was a wall in the middle, where you actually had two different fires. Maybe?

Not sure about your time frame, equipment, and supply of steel, but you could take the longer tank and do it up like KCblues did his double deluxe pit and make it taller. Giving double the grate space. Could still use the air tank for the firebox.

Ok, it sounds like maybe that wasn't the best idea, I liked it though. how about the 150 gallon as a reverse flow and then on the opposite side maybe make the air tank into a regular large charcoal grill for other things, I.E. hamburgers hotdogs etc.

I think that was the weight won't be an issue and I wouldn't have to worry about trying to feed two tanks off one fire box.

How about having one tank for a horizonal smoker and the other standing up at the end of the horizonal opposite the firebox?  That way it would become a vertical smoker for bacon , link sausage, Canadian bacon..   and so forth.  Put a flue between the two that shuts off the smoke and heat to one or the other.  Use one or both at the same time. 
PDT_Armataz_01_01.gif
  Hemi..

Hate to keep at it but if the dampeners on the smokestacks are pretty good, you shut off the one on the reverse flow cooking chamber the smoke and MOST of the heat will HAVE to go thru the verticle chamber and vice versa.  Just like you and me.  follows the path of least resistance.
PDT_Armataz_01_42.gif

Ok, does anyone know if there is a formula for figuring out how high in the chamber the baffle plate should be? I will have the doors cut tonight and that will be my next project is to get a baffle plate welded in. I used the calsulator to figure out everything else but I wasn't sure if it was mounted too low or too high,if it would cause a flow problem. Any advise would be great. Thanks

OK, Couple pics for update. I am still wondering if there is a formula for the reverse plate height. Any info? suggestions? I still have to move the axle back before anything else is done but I will get to that this week.

Last edited:
Looks like that will work out very nice. And moving the axle should be a piece of cake the way its built. Nice Score.

I have always wondered and never heard much about it. Has anyone every had troubles with having more weight on one side when setting up a rig this way? I keep thinking how much it would suck to take an exit ramp a little fast and have a beautiful rig sliding down the highway on its lid.

I have another tank going on the other side of the trailer there. It is a 60 gallon air tank that will be a charcoal grill. I figured I would use the other side for that and My wood box and storage box all on the opposite side to balance the trailer a bit.

Thats cool. From the sounds of it your gonna have a fine looking and very functional rig when you finish.

here are a couple pics of fires in the tank. I am getting ready to have the tanks sandblasted then cut the hole for the firebox and weld in the revers flow plate. My diameter is 23" and my cooking grate will be at 12". According to my figuring the reverse plate should be at 6" and I have planned the firebox at 5" that gives me 1" between the two. I was going to do a 1" taper from the sides inward to the middle which would make the center at the same height. Would that be a problem? Also, I should have the same circumference semi circle at the end of the rf plate as I do the firebox opening. Is that correct? I was thinking about mounting an adjustable baffle plate at the end of the rf plate and also on the exhaust stack. Any cons to that idea? Thanks for the input guys.

IMG]http://i775.photobucket.com/albums/yy31/YAMARACERYZ250/smoker2007.jpg[/IMG]  

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky