Ceramic briquettes

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Plumeja

Original poster
Sep 4, 2022
So I'm new to the world of pellet smokers. I have a pitboss 700fb1 with a few cooks under my belt. My question is about adding ceramic briquettes to the smoker to act as thermo mass. Was wondering what everyone's ideas are on that. I live in the cold north Calgary Alberta so it will be getting cold here soon.
I will be adding a welding blanket to the set up as well.

Some people put firebrick down in the bottom of the smoker, under the drip pan around the firepot for the purpose of thermal mass.

You'll definitely want the blanket. Pellet burners are thin metal and cool quickly in the winter with any air movement. Doesn't help they're pushing cold air through the firepot either.

Adding thermal mass has some value if you'll be opening the lid repeatedly. But super cold winters probably preclude your going out and doing that much anyway. So I see no value in adding firebricks, etc to the inside of a closed smoker. But reducing the heat loss out the walls can help a lot when cold. Blankets, boxes, etc, all slow down the heat loss there.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky