Cast Iron Pot Selection

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

scdigger

Fire Starter
Original poster
Sep 5, 2012
Anderson, SC
Hey guys...

I've got a Bayou Classic SP10 burner that I use for shrimp boil, canning, etc...but, I want to get a cast iron pot for jambalaya, hash, chilis, etc...

The toughest things is figuring out what size to get...when I look at a description of a 12 qt. pot, there's no size reference...hard to visualize the difference be tween 8, 12, 16, 20...I know 20 qt is bigger than I need...the most I'd be feeding is 8-10 at a time...but I definately want to have room to cook more  if necesary.

Final question...I'm assuming, I need to find a DO without legs (which is a pot), since I'll be using it on a propane burner....

Thanks for any advice suggestions...take care.

Greg

8 qts. is 2 gallon.... 16 qts. is 4 gallon..... remember, you can't fill them to the top, so go bigger....

DO legs might work on the burner if they're short and stubby. Depending on the size of the burner and the pot, the legs might help to keep the pot from sliding off the burner.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky