Caramel

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sdkid

Smoke Blower
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Feb 14, 2015
Pierre, SD
My sister in law makes awesome caramels. I think im going try my own and smoke them. Thinking of cold smoking the sugar and butter. Then make the caramels and cold smoke the finished product.

Any thought??

Different idea for sure. I’d smoke the butter & sugar then make a batch. If needing more smoke the batch again. I wouldn’t rush making it. Let butter & sugar set for a week after smoke. Then make a batch of caramels. My .02

Reactions: sdkid and jcam222
Freeze the butter solid and smoke it. As it thaws I think the frozen tenant will continue to take on smoke better than the liquid. Maybe even cold smoke it.

Reactions: sdkid
Love home made caramel. Not sure if I would like it smoked or ingredients smoked.
I'd smoke the sugar first and make a batch without smoking the final product.
I've had smoked sugars before and the flavor was good in savory dishes
Smoking butter is really a challenge. It has a really low melting (puddle) point and it takes on flavors very quickly even in the freezer. Ever wonder why the butter from the fridge smells of the ? dish you made?

Reactions: sdkid
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky