• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Capicola time in Tennessee

reichl

Meat Mopper
Joined Mar 26, 2009
did you smoke at a lower temp or did you keep the smoker arround 225? Looks great!

pignit

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 3, 2008
It actually takes my MES a couple of hours to get to 225. So I would say I was smoking from 180 to 225 in a very gradual increase. I was smoking a roast beef at the same time so I actually sped it up a little. The cured capicola could have stood some slower smoking time. I was using such a mild wood that it really wouldn't have hurt it at all. When I first starting smoking meats.... I was a smoke hound. Way too much smoke on everything. As good as it all was.. there was just too much smoke. Now I have much more finess with my smoke and at times I'm a bit light on the smoke.

bigsteve

Master of the Pit
Joined Feb 15, 2009
Looks great!

Man, you've been smoking up a storm the past week. Do you run a catering outfit?

pignit

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 3, 2008
No.... it's an illness. Red sent me out to the grocery store to pick up some lemons yesterday and I came home with 4 tenderloins ($1.99 lb.) and 3 more chuck roasts ($1.99 lb.) I'm talkin a package of 2 tenderloins for $4.88. How do you walk by that?

The two best investments I made in my smoking arsenal is the slicer and the vacuum. When I get on a roll like this I slice and dice and vacuum everything and put it in the freezer. It is wonderful to be sittin watchin a movie and have an earge for a BB or a nice capicola sandwich and knowing it's just a few minutes away.

I like to share too. I stand out in front of my house and give out samples like they do at Sams. I've gotten quite a following.

ronp

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Apr 27, 2008
Now I know you are crazy.

Nice job Dave.

hank

Fire Starter
Joined Jun 4, 2007
I found a Morton Tender Quick Substitute on the Bradley Smoker forum years ago, been using it ever since.

16 oz kosher salt
8 oz regular table sugar
2 oz InstaCure #1
Mix well, I use a stand mixer and let it run for a few minutes, store in a tight sealing jar.

Hope it helps and enjoy

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.