Can't Keep The Pellets Lit!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

My pellets are smoking just wonderfully 3 hours into the smoke.  I've getting a very generous amount of smoke too.

Thanks to the forum members I did the following: 1) ensured tope vent was wide open; 2) pulled out the chip tube; 3) took extra special care to light the pellets.  Probably spent about 15' before I put them in the smoker.  This included using the torch on low for about 45 seconds, blowing on the pellets to ensure a red hot smolder; 4) put the pellets on the bottom rack over the heating element.

That's pretty much covers it.  At first I checked every half hour and now I'm checking every hour.  The smokin' is on.
icon14.gif
sausage.gif
icon14.gif

Bear

Don't sweat the beer. It does nothing for the flavor. The water evaporates and leaves 99% of the beer flavor essence in the pan. Of the remaining 1%, 99% of that goes out the exhaust. So the actual flavor gain from .01% is covered by smoke and the rub flavors. You don't taste them unless you are a Super taster that can sense in Parts per Million. You will get far more flavor from eating the meat and washing it down with a Cold One!...JJ
This man knows...

Very knowledgeable post my friend. So many myths in the world of smoke.

This man knows...

Very knowledgeable post my friend. So many myths in the world of smoke.
Kinda like the beer can chicken. A half full beer with a tbsp of rub in it is surrounded by a chicken meat huggie that is fully cooked at 165*F max. How can the.beer boil? And if it could like JJ said your making a reduction releasing water vapor and intesifying the flavors in the can. Cooking the beer can chicken so nothing is laying in a pan so the back fat renders may be the key. Style vs. Liquid.
-Kurt

Used the "Bear Method" for using the Amazn pellet smoker in my MES and it worked great. No issues with it going out.
Glad to hear that Steve!!

You know one of the funny things about it is some people look at my method (Post #12), and think "20 minutes??---That takes too long", but what they don't realize is it doesn't actually consume 20 minutes of my time to complete my 20 minute method. It consumes about 20 or 30 seconds of my time for 4 or 5 times, while I'm doing other things, like cleaning my Mavericks cables & probes, putting my probes in place, starting my notes for the current cook, etc, etc.

Thanks for your comment,

Bear

Just got a butane torch so it should be easier and faster to light now. I was using fondue fuel to get it going before lol!
I tried a Butane torch a couple times, but for lighting Pellets nice and deep the Propane (Bernzamatic) works best.

I use my Butane torches to light Sawdust, because the Propane torch blows the sawdust away from the flame. LOL

Bear

I thought I had all the information I needed to keep my ANMPS lit but I didn’t. I warm them up and dry them out in the microwave oven and I lit them with a crème brûlée torch until I have a fire going then I blow it out instead of leting it burn for a few minutes. That may be my problem?

Randy,

ok, i just tried my amazen tube smoker this weekend and was having the same issues as everyone else. I just bought a Bernzamatic propane torch at Home Depot for $30 and now also know that i need to put the tub on the right side and open the chip loader to get better airflow. Can't wait to try this out on my next smoke!!!

I found a way that works every time. I microwave enough pellets to fill the maze then lite the warm pellets and let them burn for about 10 minuets then pull the chip loader out a couple inches, open the top vent all the way and place the tray to the bottom right just above the chip loader. I place a drip pan on the rack above the tray so that drippings don’t drip on the tray. On a still day I place a small wafer fan to blow on the chip loader. My pellets never go out anymore.
Randy,

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky