Can't get my temp above 200!!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
That's correct, Duckman. Just outside the perimeter of where your sfb is bolted on, in your second picture, you will have a tack welded piece in there that will pop out fairly easily....kinda like a piece of paper that has been perforated. In my case, I removed the sfb and gave it a whack or three. Be careful to not bend the side of your cooking chamber by striking with too much force.

Duck that football shaped area is removable, in the picture you took from the side fire box looking in,knock that part out,it is not solid,ok!!

Mark

Ahhhhhhh! OK ok ok I got it now! Thanks Kev!!! I see now that is is perforated and I will knock it out today. Thanks for being so patient with me! You guys are great and i'll keep you informed as to my progress on my smoking once I get it out and start some beef back ribs and some pork butts! I'm sure i'll have more questions for you guys and i'm now convinced that i'll get all the answers from you all!!

LONG LIVE SMOKING!!!

ahh good one cajun.............i tried to see the opening that dutch gave the link too, but couldn't really see it..........

great link

d88de

Ok, so I knocked out the football shaped opening between the fire box and the smoker. I'm trying to smoke some chicken. The temp gauge on the smoker still won't go above 200. I know that gauge is not accurate and is a probably piece of crap. I put about 5 pounds of hickory block charcoal in and the fire box is quite hot. I have basted and checked the chicken every hour and the temp of the chicken (via a meat temp gauge) is not above 140. I have added more charcoal every hour and 3/4 or so because the charcoal is dying. It has been a little over 2 1/2 hours. I have an hour or so to go and I want to know if I'm doing everything right. Does it normally take that much charcoal? I'm afraid that the chicken will not be up to temp when it's done. I don't see any smoke just heat. Even if the meat gauge does not say 167 could the chicken be done? And should I check it?

Thanks for the help guys!

Hi Duck,glad you fixed your problem,to regulate your temps with this smoker
i will recomend this,that you open the chimney all the way,open your side fire box damper about 1/3rd of the way.
you should hold a steady 225 degrees.
also replace your cook chamber thermo,or get a remote,also,and maybe it's just me but i have a thermo on my fire box also,it tells me at a glance what i need to do to keep a steady temp.good luck.

Mark

Ok, I took your advise( thank you soooo much for it!!) and the chicken came out a little overcooked (probably because the chicken was too close to the opening and because I did not have a true reading of the temp of the smoker and because I did not take your advise until the last 1 1/2) but the taste was great. I will be getting a separate temp gauge. I'll be trying 4 chicken 1/4 again to see if I can get it just right. This is soooo fun and it's been exciting! I have a rack of beef ribs just waiting for me to get to the point to be good enough to give it a try at smoking it. I give it 2 more days and then I think I'll be ready to give it a try! Any suggestions you all can give a newbie like me I am welcome to it! I have read all I can get my eyes on and been through all the forums that I can find. So I'm hoping that all your guys falls I can learn from.

LONG LIVE SMOKING!!!

P.S. Pictures of the ribs will come!!! Thank you again guys!!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky