CAN'T FIND WOOD TO USE FOR SMOKING WITHOUT HARSH CHEMICALS ADDED. I LIVE IN PHILLY PA. ANY SUGGESTIO

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
As "Bear" said, go for a ride and stop to ask about wood you see cut in piles (make sure it is Fruit or Nut Tree Wood). Most folk will sell or even give you a small amt.  Try 'Bartering' for wood... trade your BBQ for the Wood (if it's not a long way off) and you make a few friends in the process...

Are there still any Trees in Philly
icon_question.gif
 Watch for downed trees from Storms or age , and ask the clean-up crew if you might have a limb or so...
biggrin.gif

Maple is a great smoking wood ,when cured (Dried) , and I know there are lots of them in the East.If you find a supply of Maple, you will have a good flavor for Smoked food. Find some Fruit Wood and your set: Apple and Cherry are good too.

The on line sources are sooo expen$ive and IMHO too dry.

Have fun and . . .

Sorry, but that is not correct, nor even close. As I have stated here on a number of other threads I am actually a wood technologist and patented a wood drying process (1979) still used on the West coast.

To start, water is colorless and when soaked into wood you will not see it until the fiber saturation point is reached (at about 25%). A far better test is weighing the wood before and after. Significant water is absorbed even in outstanding boat woods like white oak. Red oak is a horrible boat wood and it will play sponge in water...

White oak has far more "stuff" in the pores which slows water absorption (and especially release when drying). Build a boat of red oak and it would never tighten up and seal off. You can blow smoke through a slice of red oak easily... Even if it is a couple inches long. So wood variety makes a huge difference is water absorption and adsorption (what water does after the fiber saturation point is reached). The shape and size of the pieces makes a huge difference, especially in tighter grain species, also. Something like green cottonwood will have a water content of up to 200%. (in standard usage water content of wood is a function of the dry weight of the wood, so a 1# piece of dry cottonwood weighed 3# when green)

As to burning more slowly... the contact points between the fire and the soaked wood will dry first and start smoking... and it happens quite fast; by no means does the entire piece have to dry out before smoke happens. With a properly dampered fire box the wood will then continue to smoke from the dry points and as the drying advances through the wood it will continue to smoke. Simple physics are very hard to ignore... The cooling done by the evaporating water keeps the fire lower than it would be with dry wood... and it slows the burning of the wood which would add significantly to the total heat put out by the fire. Again, simple physics show it cannot be another way.

That is not to say you have to soak your wood to make your smoker perform at its best, there are simple too many different ways of getting to the same end. But if you are smoking fish soaking your wood will almost always be a huge advantage.

Ya'll are SO missing the question/concern of a new smoker.

PinkfloydSteve, for now, spend the $ on woods marketed for smoking until you are comfortable distinguishing the differences between woods and what works for your smoker/desired taste-soak it or not, try it both ways, mix it up (I use dry chunk to start off a smoke, but will either char with a propane torch more chunk or soak chips to add to my smoker after the smoke starts. It takes time and experience to use "green woods" and the wrong wood could ruin your meat and some is TOXIC! Trusting Bubba's ad on Craigslist on the type of tree he cut down in grandma's yard is not something I'd feel comfortable putting in my smoker.

And to the "premier" posters and more experienced smokers that have posted in regard to PFSteve's inquiries should be ashamed of yourselves and the spirit of this forum! You're responses are not relevant and inject an air of superiority and elitism that give the impression of passive-aggressive bullying. Put your "twigs" away; this isn't a competition of who has the biggest "log" -- smoking meat is 95% art and ONLY about 5% scientific fact!

SMF is a place of learning the art of Smoking meats.  AND...helping out when there are questions.  A lot of the members here have given you some sound advise and where to shop for some other woods for your smoking pleasure.  As a new "smoker"...you will learn a ton by just doing...trial and error with your particular smoker/cooker and make a log of your cooks.  You will then see what works for you and your family and what does not work.

I for one used to use "chips"....I found they were a waste of money for me since they didn't last long in my smoker.  I use chunks now.  Also...I used to soak the wood...and now I don't.  That works for me.  Just my 2 cents to this topic. AND...everyone is entitled to THEIR opinion...so long as it is done in a polite helpful manner and doesnt become a heated Debate.  
no_no.gif
  With that being said....I am keeping an eye on this thread and if things become more heated.....it will be stopped.

Also...if you have an Academy Sports near you...they have a great selection of woods to Sauces...what every your heart desires.  Good luck in your search!

Kat

Also, if you become really desperate, there's always the Oak Coffee Table!!

Just be sure to scrape or sand the finish off of it first !!!
rolleyes.gif

Bear

Also, if you become really desperate, there's always the Oak Coffee Table!!

Just be sure to scrape or sand the finish off of it first !!!:rolleyes:

Bear

Lol, you been talkin to my Big Guy (Bear is an actual moniker on his bank accounts!) -- he knows if I don't have something specific to smoke and wood to do it with, everything in the fridge & pantry is up for grabs as well as the fuel needed to smoke whatever I found there!

Thanks for all of te great tips! You guys and gals, Rock!! Now, I have to choose between Propane or Electric Smokers!!! Any suggestions?

Thanks for all of te great tips! You guys and gals, Rock!! Now, I have to choose between Propane or Electric Smokers!!! Any suggestions?
A question like that will get Gas guys saying "Propane", and Watt burners saying "Electric".

I use Electric, because it's pretty much "set it and forget it", plus when I was a kid, we had an old gas stove in our kitchen, and every time somebody opened the back door the pilot light would go out. Then the whole house would start smelling like gas. We'd have to open all the widows, and get the house cleared before the pilot light could be lit again. This turned me off to gas. I won't have anything gas in my house, even though I know the new ones are different. I have a propane Weber "Q", but that's as far as I'll go.

Bear

I'll bite.  My Smoke Vault is a "set and forget".....and it's propane.  Love it.  But...my dream is to have a stick burner one day.

Kat

A question like that will get Gas guys saying "Propane", and Watt burners saying "Electric".

I use Electric, because it's pretty much "set it and forget it", plus when I was a kid, we had an old gas stove in our kitchen, and every time somebody opened the back door the pilot light would go out. Then the whole house would start smelling like gas. We'd have to open all the widows, and get the house cleared before the pilot light could be lit again. This turned me off to gas. I won't have anything gas in my house, even though I know the new ones are different. I have a propane Weber "Q", but that's as far as I'll go.

Bear

That's the same reason I use horse and buggy instead of quadracycles. But I hear those new fangled automobiles are better than they used to be. Humph.

I like my propane smoker. Requires more attention than an electric, but less than a stick burner or charcoal. Plus I'm not tethered by a cord. But I burn a lot of propane now.

Last edited:
An interesting read for sure!

I have an electric smoker, which I started my smoking obsession on. I also have a homemade propane smoker (with a side fire box that I can use charcoal/wood - but I haven't gotten brave enough yet). 

I like both and they both have their uses. 

Seems like the electric is the most convenient ! No plans to use my smoker outside my backyard. Was looking at the Masterbuilt electric smoker with a remote control thermostat. Anybody know about this model ?

Seems like the electric is the most convenient ! No plans to use my smoker outside my backyard. Was looking at the Masterbuilt electric smoker with a remote control thermostat. Anybody know about this model ?
This forum has threads on MES 30s and MES 40s all over the place.

In short, If you can get a Generation 1 MES 40, you'll love it, but if you can only get the Gen 2, you'll hate it.

Bear

if you have an ace hardware around you they have plenty of woods for smoking. everything from splits to chips n chunks. range normally from pecan to grape wood and everything in between, at least mine does. or as Kat already suggested an Academy. on the propane v. electric subject, well i have stick burner, propane, and electric...all have their moments to shine. i use propane mostly because its easier than firing the stick burner up thats on a trailer, so when i need the 2 rack of rib dinner done im not waiting for this big ol smoker to come to temp for a couple wimpy racks..lol. the electric has been given jerky duty permanently since the propane smoke house made its debut on the patio. the electric i have can only get soo hot, and often isnt hot enough on cold days(wont get past 150) in the summer i can get it to 225*..and still thats too low for me. as soon as you figure out what youre really ging to be smoking i guarantee there will be a smoker for your needs. good luck.

This forum has threads on MES 30s and MES 40s all over the place.

In short, If you can get a Generation 1 MES 40, you'll love it, but if you can only get the Gen 2, you'll hate it.

Bear
X2 From what I've read about the Gen 2, not many people are happy with it. I have a Gen I MES 40" and love it. Be sure to take the cooking surface space into account when deciding. There's only 2 of us, but the 40" was the way to go at the time for the cost and I'm certainly glad I did.

Bear, what's so bad about the newer generation Masterbuilt Smoker 30" & 40" ?
Here is a few things:

There is a slanted Drip shield that traps heat on the right side.

In order to get somewhat even temps above, you have to remove the small water pan, to release the trapped heat through that hole.

The top exhaust vent is too small.

There isn't even enough air in the bottom to keep an AMNPS going, unless you remove the water pan & put the AMNPS over the hole for the water pan.

Here is more discussion on it:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/newsearch?search=MES+40+Generation+2+problems

Bear

I use a master built XL propane, I eventually want to get a big, giant huge stick smoker (you know, something I can put a mammoth in!) and feel that I'm more prepared to make that jump because I started with a propane! Smoking is HIGHLY addictive, so I guess it depends on what your end goal is -- of course, my goal was never even to Smoke, I bought as a Christmas present for my husband, but he's not allowed and wont to touch it >:) -- says he's not worthy of smoking after me!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky