Canning with store bought BBQ sauce

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

oregonsmoke

Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
Tillamook Oregon
I'm a little late to be asking this but I put up a few jars of pork loin a week or so ago and added some BBQ sauce to the jars. I think I did about a 1/2 cup of sauce per pint jar. It was all cold packed (raw). I processed 75 minutes @ 11 pounds. I'm curious what you all have to say about this. Is this ok to do?

It looks as if you used the USDA canning guide... Was the canner a dial gauge canner ???
however, the USDA says..... Raw pack – Add 2 teaspoons of salt per quart to the jar, if desired. Fill jars with raw meat pieces, leaving 1-inch headspace. Do not add liquid.

Yes it was a dial gauge. I've canned a lot of meat with great success but the BBQ sauce was a last minute idea I went with. I've always assumed they say not to add liquid because of the liquid created when raw pack is cooked but now I worry they say to not add it because it would interfere with heat penetration. I was hoping maybe someone has done this before and would put my mind at ease.

I have to ask in general...

I never heard of canning raw meat, just cooked product. What exactly is this raw pack stuff? Like making home made salt pork? Sorry totally off topic but now I'm curious!

You pressure can raw meat.... = raw pack... Hot pack is cooked meat... and usually has gravy poured over the cooked meat... gravy made from cooking the meat...

I have yet to try it but my research shows it is common. My friend raw packed a lot of Venison rather than freeze the meat. Made for fast Chili, Stew, and great in Tomato Sauce. I have seen Ground Beef canned for Taco meat, meat sauce and American Chopsuey...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky