Canned Roma Tomatoes?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I grow tomatoes and peppers every year. We can salsa made from the garden. Last year we put up 65 quarts. 60% of the tomatoes are paste types, San Marzano, Roma, Amish Paste, Big Moma.
Surprisingly we don't can tomatoes, we wash, clean and freeze them whole in ziploc bags. The skins come of if you rinse them in warm water. Fresh tomatoes for soup, sauce, cooking.
BLTs are mandatory at the canning party.
20210502_141049.jpg 20191005_175358.jpg 2017-09-03-13.45.43.jpg 2018-06-09-11.25.23.jpg 2017-08-11-20.14.53.jpg 20200903_161924.jpg

What I do; either Roma or San Marzano, no need to blanch if your freezing them for sauce.

I have them in 18 gallon totes. Been fertilizing every 2 weeks. Also added lime and oyster shells in soil. We been getting a lot of cold night and rain. The sun gold cherry is about at its max size now. Did not realize when I bought it only gets about 3 foot. Need to re-plant another in that one. Was hoping to find a green zebra but none to be found now. This been an usually cold year. All my pepper and herbs doing fairly well.
BrianGSDTexoma BrianGSDTexoma
Which fertilizer are you using? I'm guessing it is way too rich in nitrogen at this point of the growing cycle. Stop fertilizing every two weeks there isn't a plant on earth that needs biweekly feedings. Yeah, there is, but most people smoke those plants.

Only feed tom's and other veggies once a month at the most. Do a "flush" meaning several deep waterings with zero ferts for the next week or two. fill a 5 gallon bucket with water and add 1 tspn of apple cider vingar per gallon of H2o. Use this drench by pouring it around the base of each plant 1-2 times a week for 2 weeks.
(make sure you only add it to the soil not the foliage itself or the vinegar may burn the leaves.)

I like to water deeply with clean water the day after each vinegar drench to make sure you're getting a good "flush" removing excess fertilizer from the plants and starting fresh so to speak.

After doing a few flushes/ deep waterings, at this point since you are trying to correct a problem I'd start feeding a "bloom fert". every two to three weeks until the end of the growing season.

Also add a TBLSP of Blackstrap-"Unsulfured"-Organic-Molasses to a gallon of water and every 2- 3 weeks give each plant 1/4 gallon of the mix. Sulfur free Molasses is a great source of calcium, magnesium, iron and potassium and many beneficial microbes and organisms. It is a great boast of energy for the plants as well. So if you have a plant or two that is looking a little off or sick give them this molasses mix once or twice a week until they are back to normal.
Or any other "bloom" fert". I've had good luck using Fox Farms for both my tomatoes and burnables. Don't get discouraged no matter what you do some yrs just suck for growing Tom's.
I really think your problem is way too much nitrogen rich fert.

Good luck.
Dan:emoji_metal:👍

Last edited:
Which fertilizer are you using
I using Jobes 2-5-3. Everything I seen says fertilize containers every 2 weeks. I just toss a hand full on top of mulch. As much rain as we got should of flushed them pretty good. I will try what you said. I just replaced one of the plants. I running out of time. Before you know it the heat will be here.

Last edited:
I using Jobes 2-5-3. Everything I seen says fertilize containers every 2 weeks. I just toss a hand full on top of mulch. As much rain as we got should of flushed them pretty good. I will try what you said. I just replaced one of the plants. I running out of time. Before you know it the heat will be here.
The Nitrogen in that fert isn't that bad but I'm telling you try what I posted above the fert companies are pretty much like dog food companies. They want you to feed twice as much as you need in real life.
I'd just do a simple 2-3 day flush with the H2o and vinegar than start feeding with a good bloom fert and the black strap molasses ever3 weeks to once a month. You have to change something or you're just gonna to continue to grow green foliage.

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
Granular fertilizer is a fickle thing.
The nitrogen will move down in the soil with watering. Phosphorous and potash are not very mobile and will stay pretty much where it is spread. Thus too much nitrogen and not enough phosphorous to the roots.
I put down a heavy load of phosphorous when tilling the garden to get it into the root zone. Then I use higher nitrogen liquid until blooming.

We need to move this to the gardening section?

Reactions: forktender
I don't fertilize at all. I was taught dig a $10 hole for a $1 plant. My neighbor is a horse trainer. He has a manure pile. He uses saw dust from Amish sawmill, no chems as bedding. Its well rotted and great to plant with. I'll dig a deep hole and plant them as deep as possible. They will root all along the stem. This helps with watering in the hot of summer. I rarely water only in extreme dry times. The plants will tell you when they need water..

RG

• Haha
Reactions: forktender
I don't fertilize at all. I was taught dig a $10 hole for a $1 plant. My neighbor is a horse trainer. He has a manure pile. He uses saw dust from Amish sawmill, no chems as bedding. Its well rotted and great to plant with. I'll dig a deep hole and plant them as deep as possible. They will root all along the stem. This helps with watering in the hot of summer. I rarely water only in extreme dry times. The plants will tell you when they need water..

RG
Adding horse shit to a hole= fertilizing. 😂 😂 😂

We have not done it before and I for the LEM juicer attachment for my #12. I have 48 Amish paste plants in two rows in the neighbors 1 acre garden. Some for them and a bunch for us. Didn't know how many to plant and what we'd use, so I went high. Worst case the chickens and killing roosters will be fats and tasty.

Growing lots of chickens too. 18 hatched so far and 22 more in a incubator and 8 under a broody hen. Plus the daughter is collecting More Brahma and Jersey giant eggs to load the incubator.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky